first valve adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first valve adjustment

Hey everybody,

After reading the volumes of information on valve adjustments I gave it a go. I'm pleased to report that only the cylinder 3 and 4 intake valves were out of adjustment (90 Kat 600). I was kind of surprised because I've never done an adjustment in the 10 years I have had the bike. I brought the valves back into spec and noticed something "interesting". I'll let the picture do the talking:

This is the 4th cylinder lobe of the exhaust cam. All of the other lobes are smooth as silk. I'm wondering if some sort of debris somehow worked itself in between the lobe and the rocker arm. Thoughts?
    Last edited by joe; 04-18-2009, 12:31 AM.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Maybe lack of oil while running on the side stand?

Comment

Mine are kind of like that but its only in the center of the cam lobe- How many miles on the bike?

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't look scored, just like it had a little heat built up.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

bike has about ~54,000 miles
          "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Miles are a little high (not for the year but in general) i would expect some wear especially if the valves were a little tight, of course im a newb but thats my opinion

Comment

Yeah i was thinking wear too, but I would have expected to see it on the other lobes as well. Clearances for those two valves are right on the money-0.004"

Comment

Working...
              X