X

Idle Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Issue

My bike idles right around 1200 when warm, but if I kick it into neutral and lean it onto the side stand while still running, the RPM's usually jump up to around 2K RPM. What's causing this? Vacuum leak? Is this something easy/cheap to fix myself, or should I have a mechanic take a look next week when I'm having my fork oil and seals replaced? Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by PSU08 View Post
    My bike idles right around 1200 when warm, but if I kick it into neutral and lean it onto the side stand while still running, the RPM's usually jump up to around 2K RPM. What's causing this?

If you turn the handlebars to the left when you put it on the sidestand and the idle goes up then that is a result of binding throttle cables.

You should be able to duplicate the idle jump by sitting on the bike with the engine running and turn the handlebars from full lock, left to right. If the idle increases then you have binding (crisscrossed) cables underneath the gas tank somewhere.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I always turn the bars to the left when I dismount. Sounds like that could be the issue. I'll try turning the bars back and for this afternoon to see if the RPM's change. Thanks a lot for the help. That'll be a much easier fix for me.

Comment

Working...
      X