X

Ready to shoot it! Vacuum leak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to shoot it! Vacuum leak?

Here's the deal. I bought the bike in Feb w/ a hole in a tank and carbs filled with rust.

I've replaced the tank and spent about $300 having the carbs cleaned. The thing wouldn't idle so I pulled everything back off and reinstalled making sure I had carbs and airbox on snug. It still won't idle even with the idle screw backed all the way out.

The air filter could stand to be replaced and I'm sure the plugs are probably dirty. I was hoping it would not idle becuase of that, but it runs strong on the throttle. It will idle if I have the choke on slightly which tells me that it's getting too much air.

Is there anything I'm missing?
    -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Originally posted by STS View Post
    It still won't idle even with the idle screw backed all the way out.
    You do mean the single knob, I'm assuming the pre's are on the same side as my post, on the left side where the fairing cut-out is to adjust idle? If so turn it clockwise to increase idle.

Will it idle with you holding throttle at 1200-1500 rpms?
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

yep, that's the one. I've got it turned all the way out.

Yes, it will idle with me holding the throttle or if I hold the choke slightly open and it will idle as low as 1200 rpms. Anything below that and it stumbles or dies out.
      -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

I've got it turned all the way out.
        "All the way out" as in you turned it counter-clockwise out?

Comment

Yeah, counter clockwise, not clockwise.
          -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

All the way out the bike might not idle I can't think of why it would actually.. The idle screw isn't touching the carbs if you have that all the way out. Choke allows it to idle because you're feeding more gas. Turn the Idle adjuster in, clock-wise until it idles. First look at the carb to be sure that the idle adjuster is actually contacting the carb linkage.

Comment

I'll do that after work, but the closest I got it to idling was with the adjuster all the way out(open/counterclockwise) after starting at full in. It takes less choke then and was slower to die when I would come off the throttle. That was also before I took everything back off and put it back on with care.
              -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

but the closest I got it to idling was with the adjuster all the way out(open/counterclockwise) after starting at full in.
                Are you talking about the choke?

Only apply enough choke to start the bike.

Before I installed Ivan's jet kit, the engine required 100% choke on a cold engine. Now with the jet kit the engine only needs about 30% choke.

The choke is not digital, meaning on or off. It can be adjusted and varried. So instead of choking all the way in, try 1/2. If nothing then 3/4.
                Last edited by squiggy; 04-17-2009, 11:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

No, the choke is on the handlebars. I am adjusting the idle screw/adjuster.

My choke only has a single detent at full on. Otherwise I have to hold it slightly open.

EDIT: Regarding the bolded text; I was referring to when I started my adjustments, not when I was starting the bike.
                  -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Who cleaned the carbs?

sounds like the pilot circuits are still plugged up, personally I would strip them down, boil them and then leave them to soak in an ultra sonic cleaner for a couple days.
                    you will be blown away with how much crap comes out of the carbs after being cleaned properly
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

the dealership did it, and I know they soaked for at least two full days. I have suspected this might be the case, but I'm hoping that it isn't. I hate carbs, especially when there's more than one involved.
                      -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Yeah , dealers screw up , too . Sure SOUNDS like the pilot circuits have crap in them .
                        BP got you on the right track about the idle adjuster .
                        The choke is an enrichener on these (any many other) bikes . It's not that it's "getting too much air" , it's that it's not getting enough fuel . Which AGAIN points to the pilot circuit being still dirty .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

So I cracked open the bowls and they were beautiful. Everything including the jets was squeaky clean. I still pulled the pilots and blew them out and used a toothbrush to stick a single bristle down in the jet and worked it like floss. I noticed on two of the jets that I was able to see more light through the jets after that, but I am hopeful you will tell me that I found the problem!

On carb 1 (I believe it's 1, it's the starboard-most carb as mounted) the stopper plug over the pilot jet was missing! I'll have to order another one, but I'm still happy. If one of you tells me that doesn't matter I'm going to be pretty bummed, but I'd still like to know.
                          -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Plugged pilots will cause erratic idle or almost no idle, so will a vacuum leak. That rubber plug is needed. Sounds like someone forgot a major piece of the puzzle.

Comment

Sounds like you may have found the issue(s).

Remember: take what the factory service manual says about the pilot screw settings and add 3/8ths turn to each. The manual was written when pure gasoline was prevalent; gasohol that is sold now runs them leaner than ideal, and turning them more helps compensate. Thus, if the manual calls for 2-1/4 turns, shoot for 2-5/8ths...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X