Gears, Clutch... 2nd? Help!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears, Clutch... 2nd? Help!?

Good day Kat's!

The name's nate, 1993 suzuki kat 600f. So I just got my temps and paided up the coarse fee's and the 520.00 dollars in insurance. Everything works smooth but when I shift into second gear it revs up high and clanks around down there for abit and will go hard into neutral or sometimes remain in 2nd but no good acceleration. I shift up hard enough, I know that isn't my problem. All the other gears seem to work perfect, Is it a clutch or 2nd gear burnt out or just adjustments?

I have done my fair share of work with this bike coils, all the fairing work, cleaned the carbs 3 times and more. I don't want to just let it go but bought it not running so I guess that's what I get, right? .

Any help or information would be great! Sites were to get parts, what I should replace, or your 2 cents. I want to get her working like a beaut and back on the road asap.

THANKS ALOT GUYS!
    sigpic

You could say that?

transmission rebuild time most likely. The 2nd gear failure is a typical failure mode for the kat transmission.
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Right on, now some of the other fourm posts I was checking out say to buy a new engine. What all am I looking at if just 2nd gear is giving me a problem when I ride? I have the chilton and will follow that step by step for the most part. I need a whole rebuild kit or just a 2nd gear? Anything else I should replace when I am down there? How hard of a project am I getting myself into.. ? Whats a good site to buy the parts, anyone?

Thanks!
      sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

I can't help talk you through it, but I know it involves splitting the cases. Its about the most complicated repair to do. People advise to buy a new engine based on the time taken to complete the fix.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Right on makes sense. I am 16 years old, this is my first bike. The gear was gone or about gone before I baught the bike, I am now finding out.

I know time is money, but I have 4-6 hours a day in my school shop for auto with all the tools and stuff. I got my chilton all printed off, like 200 pages haha! I am ready too do this and just need to know if it is worth it, how hard the job itself is once I have the engine out and split the casing. I know that getting the engine out and having it on the table won't be much of a problem. I just need to know if im not super experienced how hard it's going to be to replace 2nd gear. Then at most what parts I need or should look at replacing? Like I was saying, I shift into 2nd and it jumps around down there drops to netural or I shift up to 3rd before I sit in the middle of the street listening to the rpm's jump high.
          sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Splitting the cases is not that difficult! I'm not sure why most on this site seem so scared of doing it but it is less than a full day job to remove the motor, split the cases, drop in a replacement trans, re-seal the cases, & put the motor back in the bike. If you decide you want to give it a try, I have 2 GSXR 750 6 speed transmissions for sale for 175 each + shipping. Let me know if you are interested. Ray.
            Last edited by suzukiray; 05-10-2009, 06:48 PM.
            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Right on. Yeah getting it out and taking everything off to jack the motor out, no problem. I have had the thing to bare motor a couple times. I just don't know about the tranny or 2nd gear itself? Would I want to throw in a whole new tranny or just 2nd gear if nothing else but 2nd slips. Would a 750 work in my 600?

Thanks guys, appericate it all more then you know!
              sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

I would change the entire trans so you don't have the motor apart waiting for new parts & risk getting crap inside while it's open & parts getting lost. Yes, the OIL COOLED 750 trans is a bolt in. Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

ray.. I am thinking i may be starting to have this same problem with my bike i have a 93 kat but my second gear works fine until i really give the throttle hell, when i pin it it feels like it starts slipping around 7-8k RPM, would this be second gear in the process of going out or my clutch slipping? it only does it in second ? PM w/advice please I may be interested in one of your motors

Comment

If it only does it in second, it is the trans. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X