X

gas problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas problem?

I was on the highway and the bike stopped taking the gas.
    I had time to switch 3 lanes and stop. It smelled like burning (i think).
    Everytime I tried to start it it would just turn off, like no power.
    Then after a while It worked again, ran for a mile and stopped again, same problem.
    Then it did it again.
    After that, I tried the choke, it was starting with the choke but as soon as I would turn the gas it would die.
    I was able to get to work on my last mile on PRI and the choke off.

Any ideas?!!

sounds like bad vacume or fuel petcock mine did that i just cleaned the carbs put new fuel petcock and make sure the vacume line is on the backside of the petcock.. i had to leave mine in a parking lot for a day then it worked... do you have the petcock on prime because that will cause you to flood the carbs

Comment

thanks for the tip.
      I had to tow it to the garage anyways I didn't wanna take a risk

Comment

chances are the vacuum line to the petcock has come loose or cracked.
        could be the petcock itself though to.

runningit on prime will simply bypass the vacuum auto-on valve and will let it get fuel. if it runs fine on prime replace the vacuum line and rebuild the petcock.

it CAN NOT flood the engine on prime unless your carb float valves are sticking open, thats another completely different problem.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

i doubt it has anything to do with your problem. but i attended a rally yesterday where more than a few guys had to drain they're gas tanks because of water in the tanks. they all fueled up at a chevron.. just fuel for thought !

Comment

Although it really sounds like bad fuel, it could also be as simple as overfilling the tank, depending on what model gas tank it on it. The units equipped with secondary pollution control systems (or the tank from it) have a vapor tube that runs into the air space of the tank (up to the top, then makes a 180 degree turn). If the fuel blocks this vacuum-vent, it can cause all sorts of weird problems...
            Easy way to tell: drain the tank of a quart and see if the problem disappears.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That's very interesting! spark plugs were wet, so it was (from my understanding) too much fuel / not enough spark.
              The mechanics finally figured out what it was, and it seems that the problem wasn't with fuel more than fire. I was told that my positive cable from the battery wasn't properly connected and that the wire burned at the bottom, they said they could smell the burning but had a hard time finding out where it was!

I'm really glad it was just something as stupid as this.
              Just too bad that forecasts are so awesome for this weekend and that the cable is backorder

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                it CAN NOT flood the engine on prime unless your carb float valves are sticking open, thats another completely different problem.
                My KZ1000 used to spill over and leak on the ground if I didn't remember to turn the manual petcock to off when I was done riding. PITA
                My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dunnoh View Post
                  The mechanics finally figured out what it was, and it seems that the problem wasn't with fuel more than fire. I was told that my positive cable from the battery wasn't properly connected and that the wire burned at the bottom, they said they could smell the burning but had a hard time finding out where it was!
                  This is a very strong warning signal that you should clean all your electrical connections (especially the multi-pin [aka Molex] plugs) and pack them with dielectric grease (ditto any exposed connections, such as your battery terminals). Electrical problems can be a massive bane and a bit of preventative work now can save you literally dozens of hours (and unlimited frustrations) years later.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
                    My KZ1000 used to spill over and leak on the ground if I didn't remember to turn the manual petcock to off when I was done riding. PITA
                    You obviously needed to replace the float valves and reset the float levels.

There are hundreds of bikes, PWC and ATVs out there with no fuel shut off or manual shut off valve that are NEVER turned off.
                    These don't leak unless the float valves are dirty, sticky or worn and leaking.

Thats what the floats and float valves do. STOP fuel from entering the fuel bowls once they reach a given set level... not just slow down the fuel...THEY STOP IT.
                    Some bikes and most carbs cars with fuel pumps don't continue to pump fuel into the carbs even under pressure and flood the engines because the float valve STOP the flow of fuel.
                    if your carbs leak fuel at all out the overflow tubes even when sitting....the float valves are not working properly.
                    Guess what.. while its runningn the bike will be running overly rich with no way to properly control the fuel level

I repair hundreds of fuel leak every year on every type of bikes out there... the fix is simple... getting the carbs out ... not so much.
                    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-22-2009, 04:00 PM.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

This may help.

'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
                      ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
                      ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

At least you found the problem. My first bike caught on fire while riding it because of the batt cables

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKJFLOWERS View Post
                          At least you found the problem. My first bike caught on fire while riding it because of the batt cables
                          What kind of bike (make/model/year) was it?
                          = curious =

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CP I'll make sure to do that soon then

Comment

operator problem?

I have an embarrassing story about a fuel problem. I filled up in Kelowna and I was heading home. I managed to get maybe a half mile from the gas station and my bike quit. Hmmm..? Well I phoned the gas station because I assumed I had bad fuel, maybe water.

So on the side of the road it would occasionally fire then quit. So I started to push my Kat back to civilization up hill about a couple hundred yards uphill, I said it twice because as light as my bike feels, I found the 500Lbs when pushing it UPHILL, a kind motorcyclist in his cage at the time helped me push it the last 100 ft and I coasted it to an abandoned gas station to get to the bottom of this problem. I tore the tank off and it seemed there was no water in the tank, gas seemed good, started to try to pull the fairings off to get at the carb drains and see if that is where water might be lurking.

In my difficulty and frustration, I scratched my tank bad with a tool in my hand while working and was ready to set it on fire. Then an idea fell from heaven and enlightened me to the problem. You know that really nice storage area right under the seat by the battery?? Well when I gassed up I decided to try to stuff my rain jacket in that cozy little space because I had no luggage yet. Good plan but the corner of my jacket strayed off and plugged the entry to the airbox! Thoroughly embarrassed I put the bike all back together, twisted the throttle WFO and it started, it was flooded bad though.

I rode home and I have that scratch on my tank to remind me of my stupidity and anger!

I have no idea what is wrong with your bike, but I hope you solve it and I just thought I would share this story.

J

Comment

Working...
                              X