X

need help with cam chain tensioner!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with cam chain tensioner!

i have to replace the cham chain tensioner. DO i have to take off the tank and everything or is there an easier way to go about it?

What's wrong with yours? What tensioner are you putting in?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

the one that the spring pushes on the plunger which pushes on the cam chain to keep it tight.

Comment

I meant is it a Suzuki oem or aftermarket? Sorry, my questions have nothing to do with installation, just curious about the part. I have an APE manual CCT waiting to go into my bike.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

its the oem i just need a new spring in it i believe im just trying to see suggestions on the easiest way to get down to it witht the least amount of effort

Comment

Remove tank , remove carbs (ain't gotta take off the cable , just let it hang over bike) , and replace . Pretty easy .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Make sure to drain the gas out of the carbs first.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Unless you flip the carbs , ya'ain't gotta . But if you're worried about it , couldn't hurt .

Comment

If all you are doing is replacing the spring, you don't have to remove the tensioner at all. Just remove the bolt that holds the spring in & replace the spring. Re-install the bolt & you are done! Ray.
                  85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

What about resetting the ratchet mechanism ? I can't remember the exact procedure , but it has something to do with holding a tab and making sure the ratchet mechanism goes all the way one direction ....

Comment

resetting it is easy. Take the whole assembly out. Take the large bolt, gasket, and spring out. Push the tab and push it all the way in. The put it back in the cylinder block w/o the spring in. Then put the spring and stuff back in. Turn the engine over by hand until it stops clicking.

Comment

About those manual CCT 's. How would you know when the pressure is right? Just curious, I might be getting it too.

Comment

If he is replacing the spring because it is WEAK, why would he even need to reset the tensioner?!!! See my point? To CORRECTLY set a manual tensioner you need to have the valve cover off to see & feel the slack in the cam chain. Ray.
                          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                            If he is replacing the spring because it is WEAK, why would he even need to reset the tensioner?!!! See my point?
                            Sorry dude , I'm just having a hard time picturing the tensioner assembly in my head . It's been a while since I messed with mine . I may have to pull out my book sometime and find the thing ....

Comment

Working...
                            X