X

Oil Leak... Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak... Help

Last year I bought the bike. It leaked a little bit of oil, but since it is older and wasnt leaking bad enough to scare me. Well anyways after fixing up a bunch of stuff this winter, and not really touching the motor or anything the leak seems to have gotten worse. Now its leaking way more than it did. Oil was all over the place and I was concerned about finding it. I bought some UV leak stuff to try and find the leak. Well after using that stuff it seems like the majority of the UV glow is coming from the front of motor inside this little area. Im not sure what im looking at and how to go about it. Was looking for a little input on what you guys think before i go tearing apart everything.

°†°•jš§h•°†°

Honestly, I've never seen that tube before... I suspect it's a tube that's normally inside the block to route the spark plug drain hole to the front of the engine, and it somehow got pushed out of position when someone removed/replaced the head.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Its on both sides like that.... but the other side doesnt leak... ????

Im guessing its this stud/bolt thing.....

And then just guessing maybe its the lil O rings (B) leaking or the gasket... ???
      Last edited by zxbryantx; 04-15-2009, 01:37 AM.

°†°•jš§h•°†°

Comment

Try retorqing the head first, but it looks to me like either the headgasket, or the o-rings on the oil return tubes are bad.

If retorqing doesn't help, you'll likely need to pull the head.

The arrow is pointing at one of the studs that holds the head to the lower case.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I thought it was the stud, but my second thought was why is it so clean?
          Are you 100% sure about where the leak is? That engine is, IMO, way too dirty to tell.

That leads to combining thought #1 and thought #2.. The stud is loose, and it has turned 180 degrees to expose the clean side. Clean the snot out of the engine, it is the only way to be sure of where the leak is.

Comment

Im pretty sure the leak is in that area. I used some UV leak stuff and then took a black light to see where the leaking was. All the yellowish green glow was coming from that area. Im assuming its so clean because of the fresh oil pouring outta it. It leaks bad enough that i drive it around the block and then park it and it wil drip a small puddle when i park it.

°†°•jš§h•°†°

Comment

I would say that those studs are always that shiney, they are on my Inazuma; which of course is fully nekkid, so should be crustier if anything. "It must be some sort of alloy, Jim..."

Comment

Also , you appear to have a Cali engine , & the pipe deal on #3 is missing . You should do somethin bout dat if that's the case . Gonna cause a WICKED air leak .
                Yeah , if it's coming from around the stud , they nailed it . Those o-ring/washers are cheap . Takes time to get that far into it , though . Bright side , on a pre 750 you CAN remove the head with the engine still in the frame , and all that stuff can be repaired in a few hours . Budget about a full day , though . Make sure you replace the oil downtube o-rings while you're there . Auto parts store'll have 'em for cheap .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Ya i had that little pipe off to see around it. Its back on now. But started tearing the motor down and ordered the parts to try and repair it.

°†°•jš§h•°†°

Comment

How much you wanna bet it's the front oil tube o-rings? You've got to pull the head to get them out. You've also got to pull the head to replace the o-rings around the studs. Replace all of them and the head gasket and you're probably back in business.

Oh, and md86, I'd love to know how you get the head out of the frame on a pre-750. Doesn't seem to want to fit for me. Almost but not quite...Never mind. Apparently what it takes is trying ONE more time in daylight and with nice weather. Came right out...
                    Last edited by Wild-Bill; 04-16-2009, 06:14 PM.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yeah dude , I made a thread about it a few years ago ! Lemme dig that up right quick ....

And when those o-rings leak , it's VERY obvious . As it was when I put mine back together that one time . Had to wasted another couple hours to re-seat them damned things properly .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I HATE having to go back in because something little got missed.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                        X