no start with pre-98 kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no start with pre-98 kat?

ok so here's the back story:
    i picked up a 93 Kat 600 from a buddy. hasn't been ridden in 8 years. he had it running a year or so ago, but the floats were set wrong so the carbs leak. the carbs were then taken off and he moved from AZ to TN. He gave it to me if i wanted to try and get it running again. we reset the floats, reinstalled the carbs, hooked up the throttle linkage and other little odds and ends. no airbox installed and the fuel tank isnt on. tryed starting it with some ether, but no dice. bike has no spark. I've checked the ohms on the pulse generator, they are at 168ohms, which is within range according to the manual. i got a CDI box from mudbogger that came off a running bike, hooked it up but still no spark. engine cranks freely and has good compression.

any thoughts or links to threads that could steer me in the right direction?
    93 Kat 600: Project in the works
    96 Grand Cherokee: 288k miles and counting

Originally posted by Nero
    today the cars are on suicide runs, tomorrow your iPhone will explode and blow your head off.

Ether will blow up your bike. Not much else I can interject here except that it sounds like it could be coils, plug wires or plugs at this point.
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

i havent used much ether at all, but ive got the tank being cleaned out at the moment cuz it had alot of rust in it.

i guess i'll check the resistance in the coils and wires next

today the cars are on suicide runs, tomorrow your iPhone will explode and blow your head off.

Comment

ok the resistance in the coils was 2.8ohms
        wires checked out too.

What's got me and my friend really confused is that he had it running just 8 months ago. It ran pretty well, but the floats needed adjusting. Since then it rode in a truck from AZ to TN and has been stored in a garage since he moved here. Any more ideas?

Comment

Carbs.. Clean them, then clean them agian, and a third time for good measure. Check the pilots good.. Need to see light through them straight on or else. Just becase it ran 8 months ago doesnt mean it didn't suck in the crap that was in the very same tank your now having cleaned. Plus it sat for 8 years gumming up. Follow the Carbs 101 and learn to repete the steps often.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
            Carbs.. Clean them, then clean them agian, and a third time for good measure. Check the pilots good.. Need to see light through them straight on or else. Just becase it ran 8 months ago doesnt mean it didn't suck in the crap that was in the very same tank your now having cleaned. Plus it sat for 8 years gumming up. Follow the Carbs 101 and learn to repete the steps often.

forgot to mention that the PO had the carbs off, cleaned and rebuilt about 1 month before he moved. they are spotless and have been synched up

as stated in the first post, lack of spark is my problem, not fuel

Comment

put a fresh, fully charged battery in it. i just had this prob.the guy i bought the bike from he hooked it to a booster/charger but it had a shorted out battery. it and cranked but no spark or start. i put a brand new battery it fired right up

Comment

THere's a method to checking the signal generator in the manual . Don't know it off the top of my head ,but it's more than "checking the ohms" . I had this issue last fall .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X