X

chain problems!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain problems!!!!

My chain is acting weird. It bounces up and down and rubs the chain guide, see attached vid. 15 tooth up front 47 rear i can't figure out why this is happening. please help!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziBXAxGpZA"]YouTube - my 04 katana 600 chain problem[/ame]
    Attached Files
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
    RIP Marc

just from reading it sounds like you need to tension your chain so it has the accepted amount of play in it.

Comment

Chain and sprockets last changed as a set?

If you mix 'n' match, you're likely to get jumping in the chain much like that video showed, as an old chain stretches over time, and wears the sprocket differently than a new chain on new sprockets would.

Chain lube is your friend, by the way. Was hard to tell in the fuzzy closeup, but looked a smidgen thirsty =)

--B

Comment

if you haven't tried riding it yet, withthe suspension fully unloaded on the center stand, and no resistance on the back tire to keep the top of the chain tensioned, it would be normal for it to jump a little like that. If the slack is corrct, it might not touch at all while riding.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
          if you haven't tried riding it yet, withthe suspension fully unloaded on the center stand, and no resistance on the back tire to keep the top of the chain tensioned, it would be normal for it to jump a little like that. If the slack is corrct, it might not touch at all while riding.
          It is normal to bounce a little while on the stand. You aren't putting any weight on the suspension. Once you ride, that slack in the chain will go away. Also, I could be wrong, but looking at the video....you need to lube that chain man....

Comment

Looks like WAY more than 1" of slack to me.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Test it for elongation by pulling on it from the sprocket end. If it pulls off... it's new chain time.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

lubed about 2 weeks ago, i guess i could do it again. Also it is a original chain, but only has 8k on it. I don't have a micrometer, can i use a tape measure to check the chain?
              May the road rise up to meet you.
              May the wind always be at your back.
              May the sun shine warm upon your face,
              and rains fall soft upon your fields.
              And until we meet again,
              May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
              RIP Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                It is normal to bounce a little while on the stand. You aren't putting any weight on the suspension. Once you ride, that slack in the chain will go away. Also, I could be wrong, but looking at the video....you need to lube that chain man....
                except the chain lube, it looks fine to me.

Comment

Mine does the same, and it's adjusted and lubed. Looks normal to me. If you give it a bit of gas on the centerstand the jumping will stop.
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

few things to check. I didnt see your sprockets closely to see the wear worn spreockets will do that. Your tension looks too loose from eyeballing it. It doesnt look like its properly lubed, if you dont lube regularly as in ever few rides it will wear quickly.

lastly, are you sure u tensioned each side the same distance? double check it for alignment and measure it with a tape rather than eyeballing it with the tensioner.

Comment

look, the bike is on the center stand, there is no tension on the suspension. That's why it looks like there is too much slack in the chain.

Comment

Looks normal on the stand... A little bit of lube once a week or more will do wonders for your chain
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                          Looks like WAY more than 1" of slack to me.

Test it for elongation by pulling on it from the sprocket end. If it pulls off... it's new chain time.
                          +1 Steve,, This is the way to check a chain!
                          You don't need micrometers.. If it "looks" bad, it is..

Comment

1" for most people, is about from the tip of your thumb to the first joint if you are looking for a way to eyeball it.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

May need to align your chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X