X

Rear tire size?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tire size?

So i went out this morning to find I had a flat rear tire . upon further inspection i found the culprit, a nice sized piece of what appears to be broken windsheild glass puncturing it. time for a new one i guess (even though this one had plenty of tread life left )

Anyway...I have a 94 Kat 600 and was wondering if any of you have tried a rear tire size different than the stock 140/80 17? I had a buddy that put a 150/70 17 on his kat and loved it, but I've heard of others that hated saying it made it more difficult to steer. I wouldn't mind the extra width but don't want it to affect the way she rides. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by beromn View Post
    So i went out this morning to find I had a flat rear tire . upon further inspection i found the culprit, a nice sized piece of what appears to be broken windsheild glass puncturing it. time for a new one i guess (even though this one had plenty of tread life left )

Anyway...I have a 94 Kat 600 and was wondering if any of you have tried a rear tire size different than the stock 140/80 17? I had a buddy that put a 150/70 17 on his kat and loved it, but I've heard of others that hated saying it made it more difficult to steer. I wouldn't mind the extra width but don't want it to affect the way she rides. Any thoughts?

The differences in those size tires vs their actual sizes are small enough you would not be able to tell any major performance differences. Opening up your tire choices to much better tires using the 150/70 will make a much larger difference, improving your bikes handling.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

120/70/17 & 150/70/17 is the best way to go! Most riders on the board have gone this way and liked it better.

And your steering will improve. Just get a set of Metzeler Z6's and your bike will ride/feel much better.
      Last edited by GSXfs600; 04-11-2009, 12:51 PM.

Comment

If you need a quick fix Slime is a wonderful thing. I put it in my tires whether they have leaks or not.

Make sure you get it fo tubeless application though.
        Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
          If you need a quick fix Slime is a wonderful thing.
          Dude, that is a HORRIBLE suggestion. That stuff is ONLY to get you to the place to fix the tire properly. If you leave that crap in your tire when you don't need it, it deteriorates the rubber. Read the friggin' label.

Comment

bah, I guess watching off-roading videos where they run slime all the time isn't necessarily advisable for motorcycle use.

Don't listen to me because I'm young and stupid.

Arsenic is the walking plethora of knowledge you want to listen to. And I genuinely mean that.

On a side note... why would a company develop a product for rubber that deteriorates rubber?
            Last edited by sharpie6; 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM. Reason: afterthought...
            Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
              120/70/17 & 150/70/17 is the best way to go! Most riders on the board have gone this way and liked it better.

And your steering will improve. Just get a set of Metzeler Z6's and your bike will ride/feel much better.
              Thanks, the Metzeler Z6 was the tire I was looking at

I think i am going to make the switch. You think it would make a difference if I left the stock 110/80 17 on front? I just replaced both tires not but 7 mo ago and it would be rather painfull to have to replace both.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              Dude, that is a HORRIBLE suggestion. That stuff is ONLY to get you to the place to fix the tire properly. If you leave that crap in your tire when you don't need it, it deteriorates the rubber. Read the friggin' label.
              Yeah, I wouldn't trust a quick patch fix as a long term solution...that being said I am going to need a short term fix to make it ~5 mi to the shop...any suggestions on the best short-term fix?
              Last edited by beromn; 04-11-2009, 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
                On a side note... why would a company develop a product for rubber that deteriorates rubber?
                Slime is meant to get you that 6 miles to the dealership, you've only got two tires, why compromise them?
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks, the Metzeler Z6 was the tire I was looking at

I think i am going to make the switch. You think it would make a difference if I left the stock 110/80 17 on front? I just replaced both tires not but 7 mo ago and it would be rather painfull to have to replace both.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust a quick patch fix as a long term solution...that being said I am going to need a short term fix to make it ~5 mi to the shop...any suggestions on the best short-term fix?
                  Short term fix..... back of a pick-up truck?

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                    Or put it on a rear stand and push it
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Get both new tires so they are matching brands (lots of reasons for this) and sell the good front tire used to get back some of the $.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

no doubt...been there done that...was looking for something a bit more adventurous . but seriously, my schedule is a bit tight so arranging a buddy's truck and the manpower to get it there can be a bit of a hassle.

Are there really no quick fixes you would trust to get me to the shop?

Comment

Take the wheels off the bike and drop them off... should be alot cheaper on mounting the tires that way as well.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

no doubt...been there done that...was looking for something a bit more adventurous . but seriously, my schedule is a bit tight so arranging a buddy's truck and the manpower to get it there can be a bit of a hassle.

Are there really no quick fixes you would trust to get me to the shop?
                            I thought everyone in KY had a pick-up.

Comment

I've used Slime . There's one specifically for bikes & trailers or something . You'll be fine . Just tell them it's in there when they go to change the tire . It's not a pleasant surprise . Make sure you get a new valve stem , too . Some don't automatically do that .

I thought everyone in KY had a pick-up.
                              Not I . I have a small station wagon . NEVER owned a pickup , nor do I really want one .
                              Last edited by md86; 04-11-2009, 02:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X