X

Fuel Tap picture

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tap picture

Hey all, hoping you might take a look at this picture of my fuel tap. I was expecting the strainer to look different but I guess this is right? Assuming that is in fact the strainer, any advice on cleaning the gunk away? Thanks for any advice.

Fuel Tap.jpg

mine was'nt that bad but what i did was pull it off the petcock and hose it off with carb cleaner . make sure the rubber gasket is ok .

Comment

Check your tank for rust, I see rust in your screen.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

i just got done with this . starting the bike after 6 years of sitting in the garage . started with the tank , to strainer ,to lines etc. everything must be cleaned .

Comment

Thanks guys.

Gazoo, think I'm in a similar boat but mine hasn't been sitting quite as long. Did you replace the in-line fuel filter or just clean it? I assume you just used carb cleaner to clean all the lines down to the fuel rail? Did you break into the carbs too? I'm hoping to get away with just using Techron or Seafoam to clean up the carbs, but I can take all the fuel lines loose and clean them out. My in-line filter was completely crudded up, but I think I can clean it out good enough to reuse since it's just a magnet with a mesh screen. Did you take apart the petcock? As junked up as my fuel filter is, I imagine the petcock has junk in it too. Would yours run before you started the process? Mine runs but only on half choke, dies with any throttle, seems to be starved of fuel when air intake is opened up...

Comment

Pull apart the carbs, it's the only way to make sure you get everything clean. Replace the fuel filters, and make sure there's no rust in your tank or it will clog things up in a hurry (don't ask how I know).
            sigpic
            »Ross Wendell
            »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Originally posted by c50sooner View Post
              Hey all, hoping you might take a look at this picture of my fuel tap. I was expecting the strainer to look different but I guess this is right? Assuming that is in fact the strainer, any advice on cleaning the gunk away? Thanks for any advice.

[ATTACH]12901[/ATTACH]
              Clean with carb cleaner then blow compressed air thru the fuel nipples. That way it blows from the inside out. Be careful not to blow the thing apart with too much air pressure.

Comment

Working...
              X