Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I am at wits end with this clutch. Any help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am at wits end with this clutch. Any help?

Hello all. Please let me give you the low down. I purchased this 97 Kat last year and the clutch as been strange since I bought it. I order to release enough to shift you have to CRANK down on the adjustments. This continued to get worse through the riding season last year. So, after reading some of the threads people were saying that the metal plates could be warped. This year I inspected the clutch and sure enough the metals were discolored, so I replaced metals, frictions and springs with all Barnett parts. No luck. I found some damage on the sprocket cover so I replaced the cover and the worm gear that connects to the clutch cable and pushes out the pressure plate. Still no luck. If you are thinking that I am not adjusting the clutch correctly, here are my steps.

1. winding in all cable adjustments.
    2. Loosing nut for adjustment screw on worm gear.
    3. Turning in set screw until I feel tension
    4. Loosing screw 1\4 turn
    5. tightening nut while holding screw
    6. setting coarse adjustment until I have about 1 inch play on lever end
    7. Setting fine adjustment until I have about 1\2 inch play on lever end

If there is around 1500 to 2000 RPM it will not go from neutral into gear with out grinding weather I have the clutch adjusted correctly or if I have too much adjustment in it. It does have a hard time finding neutral when it is in gear.

Any ideas?????? Or if there is a motorcycle tech in the North Eastern Lancaster PA area. I will pay to have it fixed. Thank you for any time that you can give me. I don't want to hurt the new clutch.

Was the push rod ever damaged?
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Was the push rod ever damaged?
      That is a great question. The best I can tell you is that I took it out and rolled it on the kitchen counter and it appeared to be true.

Comment

that doesn't realy work. it could be out micros of any amount and that could be the prob
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrwhipper View Post
          That is a great question. The best I can tell you is that I took it out and rolled it on the kitchen counter and it appeared to be true.
          Ask Chris to measure one for you, and see if it's LONG enough.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your time and I will ask, but it is more like there is not enough throw then adjustment. Like the worm gear is not pushing the shaft far enough or the cable is not moving far enough. Does that make sense?

I have to run out, I will be back in a bit.
            Last edited by mrwhipper; 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

That's what I'm saying. Maybe the PO damaged it, chipped the end off the push rod... then just ground it down and slapped it back together.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I agree with Steve here. You need to measure the pushrod length. Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

first off why would you try to put it into gear at 1500-2000 rpm

idle speed is 1200

as for your settings not enough push rod free play... too much lever free play
                  try this

4. Loosing screw 1/3 to 1\2 turn
                  6. setting coarse adjustment until I have about 1/2 inch play on lever end
                  7. Setting fine adjustment until I have about 3/8 inch play on lever end
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post

idle speed is 1200

try this

Thank you. I will give it a try. I was just trying to diagnose a problem. That is why I was trying different RPMs

Comment

can someone please tell me how to remove the clutch cable at the sprocket end? I found this thread, but it seems useless, and doesnt seem to explain things very well

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

I loosened the screw under the rubber grommet and the clutch cable will not come out...how does that assembly ebven work if you can see or know how the end of the cable is being grabbed?...frustrated to no end.
                      KATANA....It can cut through a tank!...no really! I saw it on the internet somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by darrell3535 View Post
                        can someone please tell me how to remove the clutch cable at the sprocket end? I found this thread, but it seems useless, and doesnt seem to explain things very well

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

I loosened the screw under the rubber grommet and the clutch cable will not come out...how does that assembly ebven work if you can see or know how the end of the cable is being grabbed?...frustrated to no end.
                        You need to pull the cover off that spot to access the lever inside your cable is attatched to in order to fully remove the cable. It's just a few bolts, and once it's off... it should be pretty clear what to do at that point.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post

idle speed is 1200

try this

It did not make a difference. Thank you for the idea. If you have any others, please let me know. I am starting to think about a rag and the gas tank.

Comment

apologies...was a bit frustrated earlier. The error was on my part as I mistook the "How to adjust the clutch cable" for the "How to remove the clutch cable". I completed the job this evening. I can always count on quick responses from you guys..have a great evening.
                            KATANA....It can cut through a tank!...no really! I saw it on the internet somewhere!

Comment

Mine is the same size as Chris's. Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X