No announcement yet.
X

A few carb questions (did read sticky)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few carb questions (did read sticky)

I followed the writeup posted in the sticky (thanks! Great info!) but I still have a few questions.

I have a 2001 Suzuki Katana 750 and the carbs are different than the ones in the picture, plus to be honest, I don't know the technical names for a few of the parts. My questions are these (questions relate to the numbers below) (Also a youtube link of my question)

1) Does this go all the way down tight? Or does this come up a bit?

2) Do these 3 (these are the jets right?) go all the way down and tight? Or do they come up a bit?

3) Same, does this need to be adjusted or can it stay down tight?

Background on this: Last year (i didn't ride but was going to) I brought the carbs to a professional to do. I got them back in a bad state... screws were stripped and parts weren't on correctly... I stored the bike and this year I'm getting it going again. I took them all apart and cleaned all of it following the guide. Its just that I lose track of where the guide goes after a while because it seems some of it isn't rellivant to me. I seem to have a different model.

[youtube]8Ye9JJ-BdXg[/youtube]

I hope I gave enough information. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by MdL; 04-10-2009, 02:03 PM.
    2001 Suzuki Katana 750 - Black

I'm gonna leave the answers for this to someone who is more knowledgeable about carbs... but man I wish more people provided great info on what they were asking like you did....

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

First, I would suggest checking out Carbs 102
      KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
      and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

#1 should go flush
      #2 are the jets
      #3 are the F/A screws

Don't ever try to torque any of the brass parts down.

"Hand tight" is the key.

The F/A screws should be backed out at least 2.5 turns... but you can check out the wiki for info on carb tuning.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

And dude , honestly , if you're THAT far into it , and have no idea what's going on .......
        But Steve's right . And next time , do a lil research BEFORE going balls-deep , and you'll save yourself some headaches later . Miss the TEENIEST thing in there , and you'll be chasing your tail for a WHILE . Trust me on this one .
        <---- FINALLY found why one cylinder was fouling plugs after 4 years and 35k+ miles . Wrong type of pilot jet
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
          And dude , honestly , if you're THAT far into it , and have no idea what's going on .......
          But Steve's right . And next time , do a lil research BEFORE going balls-deep , and you'll save yourself some headaches later . Miss the TEENIEST thing in there , and you'll be chasing your tail for a WHILE . Trust me on this one .
          <---- FINALLY found why one cylinder was fouling plugs after 4 years and 35k+ miles . Wrong type of pilot jet
          Well, in my defense I'm not a noob to working on motorcycles or automotive things. I'm also an IT guy so I'm used to tearing down things.

I did do research and I was under the assumption my carbs would be the same as the ones pictured, or very close. However they were different. My hanes manual has basically no information on this and the pictures don't look like my carbs either.
          2001 Suzuki Katana 750 - Black

Comment

That is the only way you are going to figure something out. Tear it apart. I wish I can help but your carb's don't look like mine.

Comment

Steves has got you covered pretty well. All carbs are pretty much the same. Difference is in the details. Big thing is not to tighten the F/A screws at all. Turn them in until they bottom and then back them out the 2.5 turns. The last thing you want to do is deform the points of the F/A screws by trying to screw them down tight.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by MdL View Post
                Well, in my defense I'm not a noob to working on motorcycles or automotive things. I'm also an IT guy so I'm used to tearing down things.

I did do research and I was under the assumption my carbs would be the same as the ones pictured, or very close. However they were different. My hanes manual has basically no information on this and the pictures don't look like my carbs either.
                Yeah dude , but the jets & the pilots are kinda like day 1 stuff . Fairly similar in ALL carbs . When you didn't get the jets & the pilots , I got that "bad feeling" .

Comment

hey, at least dude is actually doing it. He's asking the right questions at the right place. And the main jets, yeah similar on all carbs, 98+ carbs have a starter jet, that "50" jet, that's a starter. Pre 98 carbs don't have them. Pilot jets between pre and post carbs, easily confuses guys that don't do this stuff every day.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 04-11-2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

BTW , I just had my carbs off and halfway apart earlier . I was bored . Looked to see if the holes were all clear , changed one of the mains (that cylinder looked a bit leaner than the rest ) , tweaked pilot settings a hair . You know , stuff .

Comment

Working...
                    X