-Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Short?

That's why my first question is "What did he DO to the bike"
      Dunno - he swears he didn't do anything to her... But, it doesn't make sense that I can run her for two (plus) seasons in her current set-up and NEVER have a problem like this.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by KatriderJim View Post
        Dunno - he swears he didn't do anything to her... But, it doesn't make sense that I can run her for two (plus) seasons in her current set-up and NEVER have a problem like this.
        So he pushed the button, and was back in buisness again? Did you mention to him that was his one "freebie?"
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

When my main was blowing it was because of a short at the key switch.
          Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

So he pushed the button, and was back in buisness again? Did you mention to him that was his one "freebie?"
            Don't know - said he'd call me after they fix the problem... hell, I told the kid that when he does his next service (before he gets too far into the riding season) to make arrangements to bring the bike by and we'd sync his carbs...

Comment

The circuit breaker on my 90 600 kat would blow all the time because of, what I can only guess, a internal short in the battery. The battery was suspect, but it took a charge and started the bike but the circuit breaker would trip frequently. I replaced the battery and the problem went away .
              "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

the fuses may be fine but as the plastic on the clips get old they become brittle and sometimes break..as is the case on my bike lol. Where the wireing harness goes into the fuse box ..just make sure its really getting connection..(the clip is white). If it got knocked loose then it will result in no lights, no clicking, nothing..just a thought. Good luck

Comment

Okay, so the kid who bought my Kat called me on the way out the door. He broke down just two blocks from a Suzuki dealer and they offered to come get him for free and repair the bike at their relatively low service rate (no I'm not being sarcastic, they're really not that bad).

By the time he got home, they had already called to say "come get your bike - it's fixed." Steve, Joe and others hit it right: The breaker flipped for reasons unknown. The Kat's back and buzzin' along just fine.

Sometimes experience is what you get when didn't get what you expected. I'd say the kid just got an experience... and it only cost him $15.

I nagged him some more about proper maintenance and not wringing the throttle too much, suggested he DL the Haynes or Clymer manual and do the regular maintenance before the season really starts and he thanked me again for the bike and for answering his calls. Good guy. I pushed him towards Katriders.com.

Hell, I didn't know jack squat about motorcycles four years ago. Thanks in large part to people on this site, I now know just enough to be kinda dangerous.

Comment

My guess is, that at the age of the machine, something has rubbed through the wiring harness and is causing a short now. I had this issue on Kristin's Kat with headlamp fuses.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

My guess is, that at the age of the machine, something has rubbed through the wiring harness and is causing a short now. I had this issue on Kristin's Kat with headlamp fuses.
                      Bingo. My 91 Kat did the same thing before I swapped in the 750. Buzzing along fine, hit 2nd gear, goosed it a bit and it cut off. Dead.

Turned out to be the main breaker. It did it again several times before I dug into the wiring harness

Comment

Working...
                      X