X

Setting valve clearances?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting valve clearances?

I ended up tearing the motor on my 82 GS100SZ apart( long story ) ,i am at the stage of setting the valve clearance,the manual i am using does not make it all that clear as to which timing mark to use.It says use the 1-4' T' mark,the marks on the plate to line up are 1-4, F and T, reading from right to left. After setting the valves listed,turn engine over 360 deg till notches in cams are 180 from where they were,and line up 1-4 'T ' mark again, and set valves listed.It's probibly just me, but do i asume that they mean the mark next to the 1-4,or am i just not getting it Any help will be appriciated,Thanks.
    Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

I've never really dug into that era engine, but it would normally be measured with the cams in position (lobe away) with the valves closed. Where the marks are located is beyond me.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Cyber,if anyone was going to reply i knew it would be you.I have posted i few 'technical' questions,but had little response,wtf.I realize that i have one of the oldest Kats on here,and that may be the problem.I don't meen to gripe,but i thought a little more help would be forthcoming,To the people that did help,thanks,i appriciate it.I am pretty good at building things,but sometimes the obvious is not always clear.Sorry for ranting,i just a litle frustrated at the bike right now.

Comment

There are forums specifically for your year/model -- KatRiders just doesn't tend to specialize in them. I'd suggest trying:

Genetic engineering of an extinct species

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks,i will check them out.

Comment

there is a "T" on there, please look close. It is hard to see. In the field we use a white mark on the "T" so it is easier to see.

Were you able to find what the issue was or did you just go and rebuild the engine? I hope all is well bro!!!
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
              there is a "T" on there, please look close. It is hard to see. In the field we use a white mark on the "T" so it is easier to see.

Were you able to find what the issue was or did you just go and rebuild the engine? I hope all is well bro!!!

Well,i did tear the motor apart,and as i suspected,i didn't find much.The crankshaft bearing behind the generator didn't feel as smooth as it should,so i replaced that,but i am sure it wasn't bad enough to make that much noise.Everything i was told to check,i checked and then some,everything checked out fine clearances,floats,bearings,gears and seals,i found nothing.What ever this noise is,could not be picked up with a stethascope,the noise seemed to be everywhere.I got the motor back in today,i will get it fired up tomorrow hopefully,i am keeping my fingers crossed,if it still makes the same noise,i will try and record the sound and post it on here,( after beating the piss out of the bike ). Thanks.

Comment

that sux, let me know, Please!!
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by ne-oublie
                  I got the motor back in today,i will get it fired up tomorrow hopefully,i am keeping my fingers crossed,if it still makes the same noise,i will try and record the sound and post it on here,( after beating the piss out of the bike ). Thanks.
                  Remember that this engine was built at a time that thick, heavy (non-energy "saving") motor oils were par for the course, and it specifically wants that kind of oil. I wouldn't even use API SH in it -- only API SF/SG + JASO MA rated oils in a 10w40 or 20w50. Your noise levels may be due in large part to using an SJ or SL rated oil, or a light car oil, if you went that route...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Your exactly right Cyber,the oils rated for this bike are, as you said 10/40 or 20/50.With all of my bikes being older i always use 20/50 for them all, and had no problems,thanks.Didn't get a chance to work on the bike today,i work 2nd shift,and now that my daughter is off school for the summer,i am spending more time with her,thats a good thing .

Comment

Working...
                    X