X

Broken choke cable I believe..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken choke cable I believe..

Hey folks. I pulled the Kat out today to take a quick ride after work. Started it up with the choke on, and let it warm up. I then went to shut the choke off, but the RPM's didn't lower. The switch isnt frozen, as I can move it back and forth, and it doesn't feel like its grabbing anything anymore.. I'm assuming from what I've read, and a little common sense, that it's a broken choke cable?

My second question is, while I'm at it, should I replace my clutch and throttle cables too?

I just clicked over 16K ('98 600), and have a feeling they are the original cables.

I want to also throw a new chain & sprockets on aswell, as they may be the original too.

Sir CYBERPOET, do you carry everything on my to-do list?!

Any other suggestions where I can get all my parts from?

Thanks all!

Look in the hole near your left leg .Look at the carbs . Near the top you'll see the end of a rail . Push that in . That's what the cable pulls out . SHOULD move fairly smoothly .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I just replaced mine today same thing. The cost was $22.
      sigpic

RIP CP
      50th Anniv R6
      95 Katana 600
      http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

Hello

It is an idea to replace the throttle and clutch cables as a matter of course, but in my experience they start to feel nadgery before they do actually pop. That nadgeriness will be result of corrosion and then fraying which are obviously tell-tale. If the clutch runs smoothly and completely, probably no need; if the throttle responds cleanly, ditto. As the throttle has 2 cables (open/close), you are talking about 4 cables all told, and they are not as cheap to buy as you may expect. Judgement called for.

Comment

Well I went and toyed with the choke for a bit. I reached in the left side like md86 said, and pushed the choke in. Seemed sticky, so I opened it again (via the switch on the handlebar) and sprayed a little LiquidWrench to see if it would loosen up. It did, however, the switch wont retract after I put the choke on. I have no problem reaching in and pushing it back in for the time being after warming up the bike, but does it sound like a broken spring?

Again, I can put the choke on by the switch, but cant turn it off. I have to reach in the fairing and push the choke off.

Thanks!

Comment

md86 is dead on. This thread has a visual explanation of what he said. Hope it helps
            KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
            and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
            Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by Briank10 View Post
              Well I went and toyed with the choke for a bit. I reached in the left side like md86 said, and pushed the choke in. Seemed sticky, so I opened it again (via the switch on the handlebar) and sprayed a little LiquidWrench to see if it would loosen up. It did, however, the switch wont retract after I put the choke on. I have no problem reaching in and pushing it back in for the time being after warming up the bike, but does it sound like a broken spring?

Again, I can put the choke on by the switch, but cant turn it off. I have to reach in the fairing and push the choke off.

Thanks!
              Here's what you do ......
              Get the tank out of the way , and remove the choke cable from the top of the carbs . REAL easy to get off , requires no tools . ACtuate the cable feeling for how smooth it moves . Now pull the choke rail a few times .I'm BETTING the choke cable's getting iffy .... They're cheap , and you CAN live without them if you have to for a while .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Briank10 View Post
                Sir CYBERPOET, do you carry everything on my to-do list?!
                I carry all the cables.
                I don't carry the chain/sprocket, but can order it for you (figure 5 business days added til the shipment goes out); HS2020 may carry them in stock

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X