general maintenance and a pickle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general maintenance and a pickle

Hi everybody!

I have been blessed with a little extra money this year so I am giving my 90 kat 600 some much needed mechanical TLC.

Here is what i have planned:
    Valve adjustment
    ignition advancer
    carb teardown/cleaning/synch
    factory pro kit install
    fork seal replacement
    front/rear rotor replacements
    new brake pads
    caliper rebuilds
    sparkplugs
    shift detent spring upgrade
    oil

My sprockets and chain have less than 1000 miles on them so I figure they are still in good shape. I'm going to soak the chain in kerosene and lube it once it is clean.

Getting back to the pickle, the left fork cap bolt has been rounded down to the point that my 24mm socket will no longer bite. Originally I thought the 24 mm socket was a tad too big but the 23mm would not fit at all. I pushed it too far when I was trying to get it off and now I suffer the consequences. I tried JB weld but that was a laughable failure. I guess my only option at this point is to take the fork to someone who can weld a bolt onto the top of the cap so I can remove it. It stings a little though because a replacement cap is 38 bucks! The fork oil and seal are in dire need of changing so I suppose my options are limited. I was just curious if anybody else has had similar issues.

This is the most "intensive" maintenance I've done on this bike since I've had her (10 years). She's been patient through the years and I hope that I can see how this bike will perform at t

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by joe; 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM. Reason: edit
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

I don't have any advice about the fork bolt other than what you already considered (well, maybe dremel the sides flat again and use an adjustable wrench, or use vice-grips set tight on the mangled cap, but either way, you're still looking at replacing the cap).

I do, however, carry a ton of the parts you'll need/want and can special-order you the other stuff at discount prices on a special-order basis.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Why are you doing maintenance on a pickle? I'm confused...
      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
        Why are you doing maintenance on a pickle? I'm confused...
        The term "pickle" can refer to a problem that's hard to solve. His pickle is getting that fork cap off...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Pipe wrench
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hack saw and expanding foam.
            charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
              Pipe wrench
              I was gonna say that. I have another fork cap when you get that one off you don't have to worry about this again.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                I was gonna say that. I have another fork cap when you get that one off you don't have to worry about this again.
                Hey arsenic I really appreciate that. You let me know how much (83843 zip) and I'll shoot ya some paypal.

Thanks to all for the suggestions too; I'm going to go find me a pipewrench.....vicegrips just aren't doing the job!

"The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                  The term "pickle" can refer to a problem that's hard to solve. His pickle is getting that fork cap off...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Oh well then that's easy, you use a pickle fork. QED.
                  Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                  Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

LOL @ Pickle Fork!!!!!

Well Played, good Sir!

THE DOC
                    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                    mistake when you make it again.
                    sigpic

Comment

yeah, vise grips won't do it, pipe wrench will. I've done that a few times.

Comment

Im a fan of an air chisel, but it can tear stuff up if not careful.
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Working...
                        X