X

Erratic idle and rev problems *I'M A NOOB, BE NICE =)*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erratic idle and rev problems *I'M A NOOB, BE NICE =)*

Just started working on my brother's old bike yesterday. It's a 2000 Kat 600. My uncle rode it once for around an hour about a week prior but other than that it's been sitting.

Two days ago my stepdad removed the plugs and "cleaned" them. He's older and set in his ways, so I'm sure cleaning suits him. I'm still skeptical and haven't seen the plugs yet, but plan on installing a new set soon regardless of the current plugs' condition.

My work began yesterday. Stepdad said the choke felt broken and the bike was hard to start so I had planned on checking the choke cable. I discovered that he's just a wuss and couldn't pull the choke back. I pulled it back and she started with no fuss (in 40 degree weather). The idle was low and revving was not an option. After warming it accepted revs a bit better, but still not perfect and still a low idle.

I'm completely new to bikes but I'm a bit of a gearhead and love working on cars. I found an owner's manual for the bike online and read some of the more valuable stuff.

Today (another cold day in TN in the middle of April ), I rolled it back out and started it again with no fuss. This time, she idled a little better and accepted conservative revving which got better after warming up. I managed to adjust the idle up to the recommended range. I also noticed that a problem that was present yesterday, the lights dimming at idle, was gone.

So the bike starts like a charm and sounds great, but the problem is that the idle is fairly erratic. It will hover between 1100-1500 rpm and quick, enthusiastic revving chokes the bike out around 6000 rpm. I can slowly twist it and get it above that and that usually yields popping from the exhaust after releasing the throttle.

I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to carb knowledge as most of what I've worked on has been my fuel injected Celica. I can rebuild an Edelbrock if I'm feeling froggy, but you won't catch me near a Holley. I haven't seen the carbs on the bike so I'm unsure of their complexity. I read over the document in the Carbs 101 post and they sound quite intimidating. But, after all this, I'm not sure if I should blame these problems on the carbs or the plugs... or maybe even a vacuum leak...?

Any suggestions?

I would throw a set of plugs in and fresh gas.

Comment

check the battery, add some new gas or "heet" to stabilize the gas, check to see if the plugs are fowled, just do a basic full check over the whole bike.

Comment

Thanks. I'll drain the tank and refill tomorrow and check the plugs. I'll probably throw a little Seafoam or B12 in the gas unless that's not recommended for bikes. Seafoam is safe for just about anything as far as I know.

Comment

sea foam is pretty popular around here
          go a LITTLE stronger than recommended but not crazy
          And a NEW set of plugs , "cleaning " went out in the 80's
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

If the choke cable was hard to move, it might be binding in the sheath.. which is a separate problem.

I would go with the new plugs/fresh gas first and see where you are at.

If you think you can get the carbs off the bike, you'll probably be okay to clean them (if needed)
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm Having the same problem but under different conditions. I ride my 03 kat all the time. I have put 3000 miles on the bike in the past 6 months. I went to tune up the bike new plugs and changed the oil. After I did all of the that toke her for a ride or though I was. When I get her to 6k rpm she goes to busting up and falling on her face. The only thing I can think of is the parts store gave me either bad plug or there the wrong heat range.

Comment

Originally posted by jnick24 View Post
                I'm Having the same problem but under different conditions. I ride my 03 kat all the time. I have put 3000 miles on the bike in the past 6 months. I went to tune up the bike new plugs and changed the oil. After I did all of the that toke her for a ride or though I was. When I get her to 6k rpm she goes to busting up and falling on her face. The only thing I can think of is the parts store gave me either bad plug or there the wrong heat range.

I could be worng but make sure the plugs have the right gap.
                Shinny side up!

Comment

Originally posted by JakR4bbit View Post
                  I haven't seen the carbs on the bike so I'm unsure of their complexity. I read over the document in the Carbs 101 post and they sound quite intimidating.
                  Kat carbs are about as complex as a stick. Nothing to them, don't be afraid to dig in.
                  Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                  Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I set the gap at .026 on all plugs. The range is .024-.028. I'm using NGK CR9E's. That was the range I found online. If it is wrong let me know. I thank you for all your help is this matter.

Comment

My NGK Irridiums were pre gapped at either .024 or .026, no gapping necessary, but i did check
                      "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Originally posted by jnick24 View Post
                        You may have damaged the points on the plugs when you gapped them. thier is a reason why iridium plugs are pregapped.

Comment

I went back and checked the plugs today. They looked alright, so I toke off the air box and watched the carbs as I played with the throttle. The baffles in the front of the carbs at around 6k start to shutter, If I move the throttle slowly they seem to work abit better but still shutter just not as bad. Could this due a vacuum leak. My knowledge of bike carbs is very limited..
                          Last edited by jnick24; 04-10-2009, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X