X

OIL?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIL?

well as everyone knows im new at owning my 1st kat.I have a 2006 kat750 with 16000miles.What is a good oil filter and oil for kat.But is not
    exspensive?Do i need to buy motorcycle oil or can i use car oil?also i brought a oil filter at walmart should i use it or buy a better filter.One more question air fiter any good ones.i also live in houston anyone know were i can gets item at.Thanks

Originally posted by johnnypz View Post
    or can i use car oil?
    No no no no no. Don't do that.

Oil is like tires, everyone has a personal preference. I like Amsoil. Get a good 10w40 and you're good to go, the Rotella T full synth seems to be a favorite and I THINK you can get it at Walmart.

I only use stock filters.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

search "service manuals "
      there it will tell you the specs on the oil , must be the proper one since it run threw clutch as well
      I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic but its about $12-13 /liter
      I use the Napa brand filters made by WIX here in canada but to each there own
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I sell the OEM oil filters for $8.50 each. See this thread:

As for the oil itself:

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what would be the potential damage or negative effect from using an off the shelf 10w40?

previous owner of my bike changed with castrol 1040 and a POS fram filter (which i changed to an ac/delco)

i only came across the threads recently saying this was bad
          charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerx52 View Post
            what would be the potential damage or negative effect from using an off the shelf 10w40?

previous owner of my bike changed with castrol 1040 and a POS fram filter (which i changed to an ac/delco)

i only came across the threads recently saying this was bad
            Gee, did those threads already explain this?
            (sorry if that sounds contrite, but I could have sworn I wrote this out a couple times already just in the past ten days or so...)

Modern gasoline-car oils contain friction modifiers, mandated by the API. Those friction modifiers are NOT compatible with wet-clutch motorcycles, can/will bind to the clutch parts and keep the clutch from grabbing properly. Once coated, most are never able to get the friction modifiers off with any combination of chemicals and end up having to buy all new clutch parts.

As for the FRAM filter, aside from being a crappy filter, there have been reports from the field (among others, from published magazine help sections, such as RIDER magazine) talking about how the glue used to connect the cardboard end-plate to the filtering material pleating liquified under hard use on a GoldWing (a water cooled bike!) and that glue then migrated through the engine and set when the engine cooled back down overnight, locking everything inside and requiring a motor & tranny replacement. Since the Kat is a particularly hot-natured beast, this is a serious potential issue and enough to make me discourage use of Fram's glue-assembled filters (which are the only kind [of Fram filters] that are sold, to the best of my knowledge, with fitment for the Katana's threads). Not to mention, I'm skeptical of cardboard end-caps among other cheap-build practices they use.

I get $8.50 for the OEM Suzuki filter (see http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596 for details), and it's rated for three oil change intervals AND you know it's build specifically to take the heat-cycling of the Kat's air-oil cooled engines. Plus, because it's sold by Suzuki, that means if there is a defect in a batch, they carry full liability and there will be a NHTSA recall issued (unlike the third party brands).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-08-2009, 01:55 AM.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

All i needed to know, appreciated.
              charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

OEM oil filter and Shell Rotella T synthetic are what I use in my bikes. It is what many guys I know use too.
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X