X

not charging 1990 1100 katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not charging 1990 1100 katana

1990 1100 katana is not charging when i put jumper cables on it fire right up runs good but just as soon as i remove the jumper cable it dies right that secound i did check the fuses on the right side of the bike they are good not sure were to go to next thanks for any help
    GO HARD OR GO HOME

Take the battery out, put it on a motorcycle charger/tender (not a car batter charger) and charge it. Test to see if it holds a charge properly. If not, battery's shot and needs replacing.

If the battery tests okay, start checking your alternator connections. If those pass inspection, pull the alternator and have it tested.

--B

Comment

Ok ..... But will it run if I jump start it you know what I'm saying ... I thought it would run when I started it but when I take the jumper cables off it quits is it not like a car shoud it keep running thanks
      GO HARD OR GO HOME

Comment

No, bikes don't work the same as cars. The battery has to be charged to keep the bike running. Do as the post above and if you're worried about the output from alternator put a multimeter on the posts of the battery as its running and should be 13.5-14.5. Might have to rev it up over half your rpms to get 14.5 though.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

5000 rpm's .

Comment

ok i will give it a try THANKS this site is ALWAYS helpful in a big way ok one more thing not to sound to stupid but do i want to unhook the batt. to take a reading or take it right on the batt cable with it running and Thanks again
            GO HARD OR GO HOME

Comment

I bet your alternator's bad
              "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

I agree with mikey. but i also think you should get a new battery.

WHen i bought my kat, the previous owner would put the battery repeatedly on a charger, the bike would rarely start without a jump, and it didnt even have enough power to raise the windshield (he actually told me it has'nt worked in years) he told me that there was something wrong with the electrical system.

Turned out the battery had purged a good portion of its electrolyte/acid, which would decrease the amount of power available for starting, and the alternator was toast, but not completely- it had enough power to run the bike, but not enough to charge the battery, so the bike would die once the battery had drained past the tipping point
                charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

The battery def needs either tendered/replaced but if you took the jumper cables and the bike immediately died, the alternator's def gonna need replaced. My battery was dead and wouldn't start the bike, I jumped it, rode it hard for 20 mins and parked it. Next day it started like a charm, obviously because the alternator charged it. You may have to replace the battery, but I can almost gurantee you'll be replacing the alternator along with it
                  "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Yea that's what I think I got a good charge on the batt and it started like a champ run like a rocket for about three trips up and down the block then it started to cut out so I would guess alt. Is bad just want to say thanks for all the help if any of guys come around poca Wv beers on me
                    GO HARD OR GO HOME

Comment

Working...
                    X