X

Stock air filter modification?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock air filter modification?

Can anyone tell me if the stock air filter can be modified? Possibly making the center hole larger? If of course the fuel requirements are met. Thanks

sure you can make it as big as you want but your ognna have to compensate that amount of more air getting in with more air getting out and more fuel getting in too, ....why do you want to do this?

Comment

If you want to flow more air in, the simply way is to replace the OEM filter with a K&N or unifilter.

Duff is right -- the air filter/airbox assembly on a 98+ Kat isn't the constriction point until you change exhaust headers to aftermarket headers, and even then, they often still flow more than sufficiently.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mine is a 95 and the air hole is very small were the air enters the filter.I was going to cut out the center to see if the increased air flow would make a change in preformance. If it makes a change I will order a k&n. But the suzuki dealer needs two weeks to get the filter in.
        I had the bike jetted this spring and it is running to rich ( black plugs,bog of the line) So I am looking for a way increase air flow. thanks

Comment

just go on any site that sells bike stuff or sells filters, you can get the k&n at like autozone or any car place like that

Comment

Thanks I just found one on ebay

Comment

Originally posted by turtleescape
              Mine is a 95 and the air hole is very small were the air enters the filter.I was going to cut out the center to see if the increased air flow would make a change in preformance. If it makes a change I will order a k&n. But the suzuki dealer needs two weeks to get the filter in.
              I had the bike jetted this spring and it is running to rich ( black plugs,bog of the line) So I am looking for a way increase air flow. thanks
              Sounds like whomever jetted it never got it fine-tuned on an exhaust analyzer (just took whatever the stock settings were). There are a number of factors that should be included in the tuning even if you don't use a dyno & exhaust analyzer -- altitude, average humidity, average temp. Don't expect a different filter to suddenly fix a badly tuned carb.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

No I did not expect that.I think the real problem is they put to large of jet in the bike. More air flow may help.

Comment

I actually did just as you asked, cut out the hole to nearly the diameter of the filter. I can't say if it made a big difference, because I did several things at once, but it certainly didn't hurt.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

With the K&N filter, they give you a air restrictor ring depending on the tune of your engine (jet kit, exhaust, etc).

But what I recommend is what i did. SCRAP THE AIRBOX and add K&N filterpods. Sure, it requires a major jet change (i had to go up 30% from stock to make it run correctly) but you also get bragging rights and a cooler sound when ya go full throttle. LOL

P.S. Although this is an excellent mod and makes the bike perform better, it may (read will, but i dont care) violate EPA laws.

Hmm, maybe not a good statement, but my state doesnt emission test, so I can sorta do what I want to.
                    If you wanna live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ex10DidKatana600
                      But what I recommend is what i did. SCRAP THE AIRBOX and add K&N filterpods.
                      Not an option if you're driving a 98+ since there is no stage 3 jetkit available to match the pods. Meanwhile, this entire pod-plan can be a very expensive proposition -- headers, end can, pods, stage 3 jetkit, and post-install tuning. It will unleash a bunch of top-end power though

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Who needs a stage 3 jet kit???? Make your own jet kit. Sure, actual tapered and adjustable needles would be ideal, but you can also shim your stock needles a tad to make them open sooner. Just use small washers (avalible at most hardware stores) to adjust them.

Most the time, with the pods, the jets in the stage 3 kit arent large enough anyways. K&N recommends going up atleast 20% with the pods. (or so it said in the instructions that came with my pods, but I know what I am doing)
                        If you wanna live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ex10DidKatana600
                          Most the time, with the pods, the jets in the stage 3 kit arent large enough anyways. K&N recommends going up atleast 20% with the pods. (or so it said in the instructions that came with my pods, but I know what I am doing)
                          hahhahahahahah dont do pods man i swear to god maybe this guy got a good set and he didnt have anytrouble but ive already drained over 150 bux to get them tuned once and now they are going backagains with 140's in them its not worth it if your just gonna ride around town do the stage 1 kit get a nice exhaust k&N factory replacement element and then do a sprocket swap and youll be happy, thestage 3 is nice im sure once its running but right now its a pain in my balls lol

Comment

Well yeah, you gotta know how to properly tune the carbs, bu once they are set, away we go. My bike runs great around town and when i am drag racing, never misses a beat and revs happily.

Comment

Working...
                            X