Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My kat isn't in good health.. please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My kat isn't in good health.. please help!

So we brought my new (used) 1995 kat 600 home 3 days ago, it was running a little rough off the gas that the PO said wasn't from last winter so i (being suspicious) added a 1/2 a tank of premium, and some seafoam, and it started perfectly, then it ran great all day, idling beautifully, the next morning, it wouldn't start at all
    i got it going after charging the battery yesterday, but it was idling really rough, and wouldn't idle at all.
    My first thought was carbs, but they appear to be clean, the bike has spark, and compression, and when trying to start it gives a little "pop" like it's about to fire then goes back to cranking.
    There is a small crack in the exhaust (possibly a tad rusty, too dark to check it now.)

Any ideas what could be wrong?
    ...treat other vehicles as death robots out to kill us.

You say the bike has spark, what do the plugs look like?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'd recommend pulling the carbs and flipping them over, draining the float bowls (or better yet, removing them -- warning: you're apt to mess up the screws unless you have a JIS screwdriver). Look for the presence of orange paste -- which would indicate there's rust in the tank. That's my suspicion -- rust in the tank just clogged the carbs. Worth checking...

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah ,them pops likely mean the plugs ain't so hot no more ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I spent so long trying to crank it over among the last few days that the battery was quite low, i charged it fully last night, and I'll check my plugs when I get home, as well as check for passive battery drain in the park position.

Good pointers all around guys, I was assuming spark, but havent looked at the plugs, I'll pull them and wire brush any gunk off them after work.

As a noob, I'm kind of worried about working on carbs. Is taking them off and flipping them upside down to look for rusty gunk "noob safe"? I've read carbs 101, but I'm kind of worried that I'll forget something or break something expensive (i guess that would still be cheaper than paying a mechanic.)

So here are my next steps,
          1. check for battery drain indicating that there's a short somewhere
          2. check the plugs for gunk and or blackening.
          3. check the float bowls if the carbs for rust paste that may be gunking them.

On another note, whats the tool for synching my carbs called?
          I'd like to learn to do most of my own maintenance, but a mechanic friend suggested that he could do it for me, but I'm not sure how to ask if he's offering to do it for pay or as a favor without sounding like a jackass. I mean I could afford to buy him a case of beer, but the reason I'm wrenching on my own bike aside from wanting to learn about it is that I want to save a few bucks.
          Last edited by walkingman; 04-07-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by walkingman View Post
            I'd like to learn to do most of my own maintenance, but a mechanic friend suggested that he could do it for me, but I'm not sure how to ask if he's offering to do it for pay or as a favor without sounding like a jackass. I mean I could afford to buy him a case of beer, but the reason I'm wrenching on my own bike aside from wanting to learn about it is that I want to save a few bucks.
            Simple....

Call your friend, tell him you are having a problem figuring out an issue you want to fix yourself so you can learn. Offer dinner/lunch and beverages if he could stop by and take a quick look and offer advice.

That starts the conversation... If your friend is willing to help further than that, I'm sure he will offer. Just state up front if he does offer to just do it "I would, but the reason I'm doing it myself is I can only afford a dinner and beer."... Either he will say good luck with it, or he'll tell you which brand of beer to buy...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

On another note, whats the tool for synching my carbs called?
              A Carb Sync Tool.
              Or a manometer, although it's more commonly just called a carb sync tool.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok, she started today, but wouldn't idle, if i give it a little gas in neutral, i am able to ride it, buit I have to do my BC MST, so I need to do low speed riding, and this is going to be tougher without being able to idle it. research indicates that i need to synch the carbs, anyone know how to do this? I was thinking of buying a manometer and doing it myself, but I don't know how to do it, anyone know of a good guide?

Comment

Guide on how to on my website here:
                  motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

PS - I rent out a carb sync tool. $5/wk plus postage.
                  Details here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    Guide on how to on my website here:

PS - I rent out a carb sync tool. $5/wk plus postage.
                    Details here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596

Sorry poet, but the deposit is more than I've got in my bank account for the next week and a half. I was looking into building my own homebrew "octopus style" liquid manometer. Anyone know what kind of tubing to use?

Comment

Sorry poet, but the deposit is more than I've got in my bank account for the next week and a half. I was looking into building my own homebrew "octopus style" liquid manometer. Anyone know what kind of tubing to use?
                      Not a problem (most people can float the deposit on a credit card, and return it within 30 days, so it never even makes their balance-sheet at the end of the month).

For tubing, think clear and resistant to whatever liquid you plan on using... thickwalled PVC seems to be something I see others commonly discussing (suggestion: ask Black_peter -- he deals with vacuum professionally).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Aren't there any Katriders up your neck of the woods willing to come out with their Morgan CarbTune and sync your carbs (beer and pizza assumed)??
                        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by KatriderJim View Post
                          Aren't there any Katriders up your neck of the woods willing to come out with their Morgan CarbTune and sync your carbs (beer and pizza assumed)??
                          To be honest, beer and pizza is even a little much. I just flattened my wallet to buy the bike and insure it.

Comment

oh, and if i was able to borrow a plug wrench from a buddy at work, what size plugs does the kat take? My only plug wrench is one i got years ago for working on my old bronco ii.

Comment

Which plugs your bike takes:

The differences between the two types for your bike:

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X