Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Went swimming.... Anyone ever use a "flush solvent" in a motorcycle?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went swimming.... Anyone ever use a "flush solvent" in a motorcycle?

This has nothing to do with my Katana but you all seem like you know a thing or two about bike so I thought I'd throw this at ya.

I have a 1997 Honda XR650L Street/trail bike that I use primarily as a dirt bike. I was riding this weekend and it was very wet. I went to ride through a few puddles, when I reached the middle of the span of water It turned out to be a little more deep than I anticipated.... about 4 feet deeper. So now I've found myself up to my chest in water and all you can see of my bike is the seat and handle bars. It took a 4x4 quad to pull me out.

I had no choice but to ride the bike out, considering I was a half mile away from my truck and I wasnt going to push and pull the bike up multiple large hills. Not the greatest idea I know but I dont need any comments on my stupidity. The bike actually didnt perform too bad but by the time I got to the truck it was bucking and choking, so I think the clutch is done for.

My issue.... The motor is full of water.... or more like a milkshake colored oil and water mix. Ive changed the oil and filter, and flushed the motor with clean oil 4 or 5 times and every time I still get milky colored oil. I was wondering If I could get away with running a motor flush product in the oil to help clean it out. The bike stalls everytime I put it in gear so Im thinking the clutch is already toast and will need replaced so other than that what could it hurt?
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Did you leave it out for a few days or in the garage with fans on it to let it completely dry? My old suzuki 250 quad went into a lake a few times (I don't know how...honestly...) and we let it dry out and started back up. Fried the elctric start though, that thing was a BIATCH to pull start.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Buddy did the same thing to his 110 pit bike, went haulin into a puddle that didn't look deep, ended up goin over the handlebars and dropped the bike in about 3 1/2 feet of water, this bike having just a pod filter as an air cleaner. Obviously it was hydralocked after that. Took it back to the house, flushed the oil once or twice, let it sit out for about 6 hours. Took apart the carb and made sure the jets hadn't collected any deposits from the muddy water. Cleaned the air filter, gave it a crank and she started on the second try. I would say just leave all the crank case areas open you can, spark plug out, oil pan screw out, deposit cap off, just let her completely drain and dry out, then throw your new oil in and try it out
      "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Drain fuel, oil, check the battery...
        Oil drain plug out (and anywhere else you can drain oil from, like oil coolers), spark plugs out, air box emptied. Now park it for a few days like that, preferably with a fan blowing dry warm air over everything (to help dry out the wiring, nooks & crannies -- treat it like a cold wet dog). Spray all the electrics with WD-40 at the outset...

When you come back, put about 2 table spoons of oil into the spark plug wells and turn the engine over slowly by hand (no starter, no running it). Turn over OK? Close her up and give her fresh oil, fresh fuel, start her up and let her get warm while watching the oil window -- if the oil changes to chocolate milk, shut her down and redrain again overnight (there was still water in it). Repeat as necessary.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It starts and runs fine.... sounds good, doesnt want to idle when you put it in gear, but other than that its all good, except..... It doesnt matter how much I takke off or how long I let it drain, the oil looks like crap. Took part the carb and it doesnt look like anything even got in it.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            It doesnt matter how much I takke off or how long I let it drain, the oil looks like crap
            Depending on the design of the engine, you may have to cycle many oil changes through her. Why? Because many engines have oil areas that don't drain, and instead count on the old oil mixing with the new oil and coming out in future oil changes just by virtue of migration around the system. The Kat, for example, only drains 70 - 75% of the oil in it, retaining oil in the upper galley, the tranny, etc.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Kerosene fixed my clutch! My grandfather told me that he has flushed his two stroke motorcycles with kerosene and not hurt the clutch or anything else so I gave it a try. Unhooked the spark plug so it wouldnt start, fill the bike with kerosene and cranked away.... took about 3 times before the liquid ran reasonably clear. Put in a fresh filter and and good oil and away I went/ Before the bike would lunge forward when I put it in gear, like the clutch wasnt working at all, but now it works and shifts fine! All I can guess is that the kerosene cleaned off enough gunk around the plates that they would now grab.... whodda thunk it.

Comment

Interesting fix... it would have never occurred to me

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Makes me wonder if doing the same thing with some methanol would work... Don't ever want to find out though...
                  -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                    Makes me wonder if doing the same thing with some methanol would work... Don't ever want to find out though...
                    I wouldn't bet on it working -- kerosene has a high oil content, so it keeps critical parts lubricated to some degree in the process.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      I wouldn't bet on it working -- kerosene has a high oil content, so it keeps critical parts lubricated to some degree in the process.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

That makes sense. I was just thinking of methanols co-solvent ability that might help the water mix with the oil better. Maybe mostly oil and some methanol.
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

when i rescued my '79 KE100 from the weeds there was no top end to the motor at all. just the rod and broken piston sticking out of the crankcase. I cleaned the crankcase with a spoon, and flushed a few gallons of kerosine thru the case. liberally slobbered assembly lube on the crank and rod, put on the new jug, head, piston and everything else she needed and she fired right up. I use Kero to clean most everything now that's all gunked up.
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Kerosene 'eh? Never heard of that one before but hey, it worked! Mental note filed.
                          Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

mineral sprits
                            drail the oil and flush the engine with a couple hundred ml of mineral sprits a couple times.
                            Kerosene or even wd-40 work as well to displace and remove water

Sounds like you have it under control already.

Don't wioryy though the water won't hurt the clutch or the engine.
                            Besides this is what dirt bikes are make for
                            I submarined my bike many times

First thing you do if you sink your bike is pull the spark plug, this will prevent hydro lock and damage to your valves, rod, pistons and bearings etc.
                            With the spark plug out, turn off the fuel and drain the carb
                            Drain the air box (there is a tube on the bottom with a cap if removing the cover does not do it.

then crank the engine over
                            Thats it, after cranking it over for a few seconds, put the plug back in, turn on the fuel and fire it up. If you have a lot of water in the tank, you may need to stop a couple times on the trail to drain water out of the carb float bowl again.

Once you get it home drain the oil flush the cases with a bit of mineral sprits, then put in fresh oil.
                            sometimes you have to run it for a bit and do it again
                            Don't worry about a little bit of cloudy oil after flushing it, you will never get all of the water out without splitting the cases and washing them by hand , and the lil bit left in there will eventually evaporate out the crank case vent a during agood run and up to operating temps
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

gotta love rotary valve oil injection for the dirtbikes. get um wet, no messin around as the tranny is basicly sealed.
                              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                              X