X

Valve Adjust Question ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Adjust Question ??

Hello to all, just picked up an 04 600 gsx with 13,400 miles runs great sounds good and quiet,, we changed all fluids, checked brakes and all critical fasteners but i do not know if the valves have ever been adjusted. what are you guys finding at your first or second adjustments I have the service manual just was wondering how these engines are any info is appreciated Thanks Dave

@ 7k mine were just a little tight. I'd go ahead and pull the cover and check them if I were you. Better to know for sure now, then have problems later. Yours is due for valve check anyway.

Comment

I would do them if you dont know if its been done. That way you can follow a schedule.

Manual suggests every 7500miles

Id say you can easily get away with 9000.

Having your valves out of tune wont harm your engine unless it gets REALLY bad, but your engine wont start before this could happen.... basically it will just make your bike slowly start to run like crap, then you tune em and your back to perfection.

Comment

Thanks it just @#@%&* snowed again here in Michigan so I should just do it before it gets nice out, any tips or tricks??

Comment

Theirs a write up around her somewhere... Use the search tab and see if you can find it.

Comment

Better to be too loose than too tight. Here's the link http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/valve.htm this too http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...valve_adj.html
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
              Better to be too loose than too tight.
              Must...not...comment...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Don't drop sockets down the cam chain galley . The neighbors WILL hear you cursing if you do . Better stuff some rags down there just in case .... Because not everyone is adept at socket-fishing by touch with telescoping magnets .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

+1
                  Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post

Bookmarked! Thanks - I was looking for that link on the Motorcycleanchor website, but was unable to locate it. (Found the other one with "How to understand..") Great writeup.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Must...not...comment...
                      Just realized what I wrote. Forgot to put the word "Valves" in there.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                      X