X

too lean?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too lean?

Ok so I took the bike out this morning and she seemed to be running a little too lean. The rpm's would hang up around 3k after blipping the throttle and sometimes would take forever to fall below 2.5k. It rode fine, other than when I came to a stop the idle would sit around 2.5k for a while then drop down to 1200. I pulled the plugs and they were white as chalk, this is what they looked like, way lean if I'm not mistaken?

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/w...k/Photo064.jpg (****ty I know but the only camera I have is my phone)

So I backed out the A/F screws 1/2 turn each and set my float height from 14mm to 13mm as per the directions in my factory pro kit to richen it up. I took her on another test run and this time, while in 2nd gear I'd give the throttle a good twist and she'd hesitate and then take off. It even died on me once and I had to choke it to get it started again. When I pulled the plugs after this run there was really no change in color. It seemed to run better the first time, but obviously was running way too lean...Is there something I'm missing here?
    Last edited by Mikey Dank; 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM.
    "If you aint first, you're last"

You went from 14mm to 13mm on the float height. Isn't that leaning it out even more than it already is? Also backing the screw out 1/2 a turn may have put you back to where you were with the floats at 14mm. In theory anyway.

Comment

I increased the fuel level, giving it more gas to the jets, wouldn't I be making it richer by doing this? Like I said this is what the instructions that came with my jet kit said to do.

Comment

The 1/2 turn more, yes, but I'm confused on the float height. 14 to 13? I gotta think about this while eating my pizza. O.K., don't give me numbers. You raised the floats. That should be running richer.
        Last edited by Kfreak; 04-05-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
          The 1/2 turn more, yes, but I'm confused on the float height. 14 to 13? I gotta think about this while eating my pizza.
          By going to 13 from 14 that would bring the float higher in the bowl and allow a higher fuel level.

Tmod

Comment

I'm slow, I had to turn myself upside down and think. What size main jet's did you put in?

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
              I'm slow, I had to turn myself upside down.
              You didn't go upside down while eating the pizza did ya?

Tmod

Comment

Yes, yes I did and it ain't easy. Do you have the stock air filter in?

Comment

I assume you've already checked for a sticky throttle cable?
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Stock air filter, main jets are 117.5 out and 115 in, and no i do not have sticky throttle cables. I just got back from another test run, I'm starting to wonder if it was just ****ty gas, I went up the street and put some premium in it with just a tad of seafoam. I've heard of people's bikes acting up with all this ethanol they're putting in the gas these days. It's too late now to be ridin around with no fairings on, haha, but I'll take it on another test ride tomorrow and see how it does. I wonder if I just didn't take it on a long enough ride earlier to see a change in color on the spark plugs, how far do you think you would have to ride to see a change like that? I'm lookin for that tan color on the tip and they're just a little too white for my liking. Thanks for the input, and don't choke on that pizza katanafreak tryin to eat it upside down, haha

Comment

Ive got the same issue, Im running 130 main jets with aftermarket exhuast and kn pods. I thought she was running too rich so I went down to 120 and she starting to ping at around 6k and still idled goofy, probaly running lean, at this point. I put the 130 back in, fixed the ping but not the idle.... Ive got an appointment with a local bike shop so they can dyno it and sniff the exhuast.... Ill let you know how it turns out.
                      Originally posted by arsenic
                      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

yea man the only other thing i can think of is possibly a small vaccuum leak but i sprayed
                        starter fluid all around the carb area and didn't get much of a reaction. if it comes down to it that's what i'll be doin is takin it to a shop and lettin them figure it out. hopefully it doesn't come down to that because i hate not being able to fix things myself

Comment

I can't see anything in the pic (too blurry), but here's the NGK spark plug comparo for you to use:

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

why do you have bigger then stock main jets?

Comment

ignition advancer and yoshi rs-3

Comment

Working...
                              X