No announcement yet.
X

Bike won't start exhaust smells of gas.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike won't start exhaust smells of gas.

I just installed a new clutch cable on a 91 katana that had been sitting for a while. When i 1st cranked it it started up nicely with no choke and ran at about 1.4 pms. After it ran for about 5 minutes it slowly idled slower and slower until it shut off on its own. The 2nd time i cranked it it was harder to get started but it did crank and this time i tried to rev it up a little bit. i got it to 4000rpms and it stalls right about there and bogs back down to 1.4 rpms. The more i tried this the more revs i would get but i only got it to about 6000rpms before the bike totally bogged out. The exhaust smells strongly of fresh gasoline. Now it wont crank at all and all you smell is gasoline when you try to crank it. I assume it's running too rich and flooding.

I need some other feedback. Is it an easy fix like a turn of a screw or is it something that takes time and money? I'm trying to sell this bike and we all know a running bike is worth more than one that doesn't.
    Last edited by zooki91; 04-05-2009, 12:44 PM.

change your plugs! sounds like there bad
    sigpic

Comment

I'd just sell it as is. Not worth tearing some carbs apart to just sell the bike.. its a kat. and an Old kat. get what you can get and be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph2027 View Post
        change your plugs! sounds like there bad
        they were changed before the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
          I'd just sell it as is. Not worth tearing some carbs apart to just sell the bike.. its a kat. and an Old kat. get what you can get and be happy.

Originally posted by zooki91 View Post
          they were changed before the winter.
          you just fouled the plugs, REPLACE THEM! It's an old Katana, it's not worth crap weather it's running or not.
          Last edited by arsenic; 04-05-2009, 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post

you just fouled the plugs, REPLACE THEM! It's an old Katana, it's not worth crap weather it's running or not.
            I've got offers of 1000 and people still asking about it. I've crapped out my fair share of lobster dinners but i don't think any of them were worth 1000. I never had to pay any money for this bike therefor if i can sell the bike even for 100 more because it's running that makes it more worth it for me to get it running.

Comment

Plugs fouled but why? Crappy gas in the carbs or a rat nest in the air cleaner?
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

You said it's been sitting a while...

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                  Plugs fouled but why? Crappy gas in the carbs or a rat nest in the air cleaner?
                  your riding a 1990 kat...

I'm sorry maybe I'm lost, but i could've sworn this was the mechanics 101 section. I'm posting for helpful advice to get it running not useless criticism on why i shouldn't.

thanks for those who have put in there 2 cents. I'm going to start with the plugs and go from there.

Comment

91? That's one of those new Katanas. I have an 88. You must be rich!

Sounds like its running out of gas to me. Is the tank full? Petcock on reserve?

Or, it could be the plugs.

Comment

i still say it's the plugs i would start there
                      sigpic

Comment

Your plugs are fouled, get new ones.

But if someone's willing to give you $1k for a non running bike take that $$$ and run with it. My 93 ran pretty well and I sold it for $1500 last spring.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

check you havent left it on prime, if you have check your oil window to see if the cases have filled with fuel, i wouldnt bother getting new plugs just give them a clean with a wire brush, ive left plugs out in the rain, had them oiled up and just cleaned them with a wire brush and they have been fine
                          the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

I'm sorry maybe I'm lost, but i could've sworn this was the mechanics 101 section. I'm posting for helpful advice to get it running not useless criticism on why i shouldn't.

thanks for those who have put in there 2 cents. I'm going to start with the plugs and go from there.
                            All I get is good advice on here so i'd clean carb's change plug's make it run and sell it !!!!!! ( All I get is good advice !!!!!! ) good luck
                            sigpic TRAIN HARD!! BLACK BELT FOR LIFE!

Comment

You're right and mine runs great. How is anything I suggested negative? I was telling you there is a reason you are fouling plugs, make sure you air cleaner didn't become a home for a rodent.
                              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                              X