X

Head Swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Swap

I ran into some problems with the GSXR 1100 motor that I am putting into my 96 750 Katana. I was wondering if anybody has ever used the head off of 750 and put it on a 1100 (1052cc)?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't have the funds to buy a second hand head for the Gixxer.
    1996 Suzuki Katana 750
    Gixxer 1100 (141.6hp at the wheel)
    '08 Hayabusa Front End Swap

the stroke is all kinds of different, that won't even work a little bit.

Comment

Unlike some people that like to spout off about things they have no EXPERIENCE in doing, I have done this MANY times & it is a BOLT ON!! Stroke has NOTHING to do with heads interchanging! It will make even better power if you can get an 88/89 GSXR 750 head & cams or a "Dot" 750 Katana head. These heads have the same size valves & ports as the 1100 heads but a 4 cc smaller combustion chamber that ups the compression about .7 of a point. If you have a stock 1100 head & have 10.5 compression, you will be about 11.2 to 1 with either of those 750 heads I mentioned. It is about a 20 HP, I say again, BOLT ON! Let me know if I can help, I am a race engine builder & do these ALL the time. Ray.
      Last edited by suzukiray; 04-05-2009, 10:27 PM.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Chrome Project Part 1
        http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

I'm with Mikey.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

no, it's cool guys, I can't see a thing he posts, good thing about ignore lists.

Comment

Yeah I thought that it would be direct bolt on, but jsut wanted to make sure before i pulled the head of my 750 katana. As for the compression though that might cause some problems cause i already have JE pistons that up the CR to 13:1 so adding another .7 might be getting on the high side i think for a street motor. Ray what do you think about something like that, would I have problems by doing something like that?
              1996 Suzuki Katana 750
              Gixxer 1100 (141.6hp at the wheel)
              '08 Hayabusa Front End Swap

Comment

1989 gsxr 1100 head: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1089628606.html
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you have that much compression already, use an 1100 head. The GSXR 1100, Katana 1100, or Bandit 1200 would all be good heads to use. The smaller chambers in the 750 heads would be more to deal with on pistons with domes like 13 to 1 would be. You have to reshape the domes on the pistons or the chambers on the 750 heads or the piston domes will hit the head. Ray.

13 to 1 is way too much compression for a street bike unless you are going to run race gas all the time. Is that your plan? If not, & you want to keep the pistons you have, you are going to need to stack some base gaskets to get the piston about .060 down in the hole to lower the compression enough to use pump gas. Not to mention the stuff you would need to do to make it push button start at 13 to 1.
                  Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  the stroke is all kinds of different, that won't even work a little bit.
                  Well explain yourself then. Tell me how STROKE has anything to do with heads being interchangeable. Here is your chance, educate me. Ray.
                  Last edited by suzukiray; 04-07-2009, 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

i like this thread

Comment

Everytime I see something this guy posts that PROVES he doesn't know what he's talking about, I am going to call him out on it! NO ONE needs WRONG information! If I read something, & can help someone with my knowledge, I will share it. If I don't know, I STFU! Simple as that. I am 47 years old & I've been building race engines for over 25 years. It just bothers me when someone continues to open his mouth only to change feet. Ray.

Comment

So.... would throwing a 600 head on a 750 bump compression/run stronger? I know compression doesnt necessarily mean mre horsepower but if the heads flow the same but create a higher compression ratio, I dont see a down side....
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I guess i don't understand stroke being an issue either, other than affecting timing chain (or push rod on cars) length. The only problems i could see would be bolt pattern, oil holes in the head gasket, chamber size, piston interference, and overall mounting issues. i.e. threaded holes for mounts on the outside of the head. But these are just general issues with head swaps, not just the katana.
                          "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                            So.... would throwing a 600 head on a 750 bump compression/run stronger? I know compression doesnt necessarily mean mre horsepower but if the heads flow the same but create a higher compression ratio, I dont see a down side....
                            The valves & ports are too small on the 600 head to support the needed airflow of a 750. That is unless you are going to do a BUNCH of work to the 600 head & then you would just be better off getting a 750 head anyway. Ray.

Comment

When are you going to grow a set & respond Chris? How does stroke affect head swaps? Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X