Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Running rough at low RPMs all of the sudden Any Ideas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running rough at low RPMs all of the sudden Any Ideas?

I was riding with my buddy yesterday and everything was running fine. Well after about an hour or so of riding we stopped for about 20 minutes (stopped at the bank) and ever since then been running kinda choppy at idle up to about 5-6000 RPMs like it's missing or something. I'm thinking the plugs may be bad or possibly wires. One other idea is maybe a clogged fuel filter. Now I know I'm running a bit lean since I have the jardine exhaust and haven't jetted it yet so I'm thinking it may have ate the plugs faster than normal. I haven't pulled it apart but maybe you guys have an idea. I have to get it running strong again before the Deal's Gap trip. Any help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance. Later
    92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

yea just check your fuel filter, check your plugs if that doesnt work try taking the wires off the clips and hit it with some sand paper to ensure a good contact, also check your battery and alt to ensure your getting enough of a spark there, that could be why your having a poor idle beacuse a low current source to the coils/plugs

Comment

+1: Plugs fouled.
      Replace them and carry a spare set under the seat to the gap unless you get the bike tuned by then. Also check to make sure your choke cable isn't sticking...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys. Do I have to pull off the fairings to get to the plugs or just the tank? Thanks again....Later

Comment

Just the tank , but you'll need to pull out the top bolts in the fairing to get IT out .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i didnt have to do that md and i took mine out on monday, what you will need is a thin walled socked beacuse a regular plug socket wont fit in the holes... so yea if your plugs are just black you dont need t buy new ones, just go get a wire brush and cean em off

Comment

Well , if I don't take the bolts out of the top of the fairing , the petock WILL NOT come out of it's hole . Now I don't know about your bike maybe not HAVING a petcock or anything .... Maybe it has something to do with your odd fairings , but on any other Kat , the fairing one the left side will need to be loosened a bit to get the tank out . The socket/brush stuff though is exactly how I take care of the rest of the problem .

Comment

I'm going to go against you all, and call it a carb problem.... so HA!!!
                I think a pilot jet may have vibrated itself loose, and fallen to the bottom of it's passage, causing one cylinder to run incredibly rich down low. (actually, that happened to me, and I'm hoping I'm not the only one!) Or, perhaps your jetting is just so rich at low revs that it's carboning up the plugs, and the leaning out, and higher combustion temperatures resulting, at high revs clean them off again.

Or a plug wire could be off/seperated from the terminal/crimped under some other part of the bike. But I'm sitting squarely on the 'carb' side of this.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well I've slated Saturday to fix the Kat. I'm hoping it's the plugs cause that's easier to deal with( I just picked up a new set). I have the stock jetting with full aftermarket exhaust so I should be lean. I want to do the jet kit (kit came with bike) but am gonna wait till after the Gap in case it takes a while to get it right. I'll let you guys know what's wrong. Wish me luck....Later

Comment

If you're heading for the gap with it before getting the carb situation straightened out, get two sets of plugs and carry one of them under the seat at all times. Whatever caused the last set to foul may easily foul more of them before your time at the gap is over, even if it's just a few days.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So you'll be at the Gap with carb problem , eh ? I guess we'll be talking ! Been there , done that an' all . Just look for the beat up blue bike with red bags (should be too hard to notice ) .

Comment

I hope to have the problem straightened out before I go. It has run fine for me since I've bought it 3 months ago so if it's a plug issue I think it'll be OK for the trip. I'm gonna do the jetting when I get back. I'd like to meet up with as many board members as possible when I'm up there (18-19th thru 21st maybe more) Are there any planned group rides or anything?

Comment

Well today I pulled the plugs, they were pretty carboned up so I went ahead and put new ones in. When I started it it ran the same I guess I have a carb problem like loudnlow7484 said. I don"t have time to pull carbs off today though since i have to go in to work later. How big of a job is pulling the carbs? What should I look for when I get them off? This really sucks if I can't get this fixed I can't go to the gap with the bike running all crappy like it is Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance....

Comment

its really easy to pull the carbs out...

take the tank off, and remove the choke cable on the carbs, you need to take the throttle cable off as well...but i found it much easier to take it off on the handlebar side, instead of the carb side..

Take off the tank bracket (above the battery) and then loosen the four screws that hold the carb onto the engine.

Pull the airbox, with the carbs up and out. just make sure all your hoses are labeled. Theres about 4-5 hoses from the tank, if your not careful, you may have a hard time later on.

Comment

Thanks Gsxxx600. I'll be pulling them off tomorrow and crackin' 'em open. What should I look for when I get them apart? Wish me luck guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X