X

oil ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil ?

how many quarts of oil does a 01 750 katana hold and what kind of oil should I use in it spec wise.I know guys this has problem already been gone over but I am still asking.

I believe 1 gallon ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

1 gallon if you dont drain the oil cooler (draining oil cooler is not needed, I never do it)

Comment

I've seen them take from 3.8 liters (about a gallon) to 4.5 liters (figure almost 5 quarts), depending on how long you leave the drain open. A five-minute oil & filter change should put you around 3.8 - 3.9 liters; leaving the drain open for an hour will get you about 4.1 - 4.2 liters typically, and leaving it open overnight will normally require 4.3 - 4.5 liters. Drain the cooler and the number climbs another 0.2 - 0.4 liters.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I run Mobil 1 MX4T. Kinda pricey, but good oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
            I run Mobil 1 MX4T. Kinda pricey, but good oil.
            theirs no need to run an oil that high tech (or expensive) in a non racetrack katana.

at least IMHO

Comment

I'm trying Castrol GPS Racing 1 next change. Anyone tried it? $69.95 for 5 litres........it'd better be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                theirs no need to run an oil that high tech (or expensive) in a non racetrack katana.

at least IMHO
                A kat on the track will run cooler than one on the street! On any Air cooled bike, one can never spend too much(imo).

The Mobil1 V-Twin is the oil of choice. I'm way too cheap, so I use Rotella T Syn 5/40.

Comment

at least IMHO
                  When you move to the southeast or southwest, I suspect you'll have a big change of heart...

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
                  I'm trying Castrol GPS Racing 1 next change. Anyone tried it? $69.95 for 5 litres........it'd better be good.
                  Australia gets different formulations than the US (& both get different formulations than the UK), so it's not directly comparable to what those outside Australia & NZ get...

Looking at Castrol Australia's motorcycle offerings, I saw two products that you might be talking about -- Power 1 GPS and [non-GPS] Power 1 Racing: Castrol Australia MC Oils (Compare that to their US Line-up).

Personally, I wished they offered the Australian Power 1 GPS here -- it's a heavier, thicker, more protective long-distance oil (and based on API SG!) than they offer in the US (I'd love the 10w50 viscosity spread in the southern US states, especially during summer; Castrol's only 10w50 spread in the USA MC-oils is a race-oil that doesn't provide as much wear-protection as the Aussie Power 1 GPS).

Want funny?
                  It would appear (at the moment) that Castrol is packaging the identical oils in the USA in each weight-class (10w40 and 20w50) as both Castrol PowerRS GPS 4T and Castrol PowerRS VTwin 4T. Seems that to appeal to the Harley riders, you have to have a product specifically marked VTwin to sell well

PS - $69 Australian is $50 US Dollars, so that's about what most of us expect to pay here for good oils...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-05-2009, 01:59 AM. Reason: Clarity
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Castrol rs r4 full syn ...for $7.85 a qt. At cycle gear . Now thats a deal

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      Looking at Castrol Australia's motorcycle offerings, I saw two products that you might be talking about -- Power 1 GPS
                      Yep, that's the one. It's going in now I've got Mr Fumoto and the shift kit sorted

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                        When you move to the southeast or southwest, I suspect you'll have a big change of heart...

so what did you run in your katana?

Comment

so what did you run in your katana?
                          Castrol GPS and Mobil 1 MC, typically mixed 50-50. Same thing I run in the ZX-14.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X