X

Slight steering problem with 1989 Katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight steering problem with 1989 Katana 600

I'm new here on the forum, I'm only 18, I graduated from High school last year, I'm currently attending college. I bought this Katana for 1000 and the only thing I had to do is replace the Back Brakes, Battery and Paintjob (will post pics later). The bike had a problem as in it liked to rock from side to side when driving and it did have a slight for leak on the left side so I replaced both oil seals and put the equal amount of fluid back in each fork. It still has the same problem, but its not as bad. What can I do in order to clear this problem up completely?

Thank you,

Jason

Originally posted by Elosion15 View Post
    it liked to rock from side to side when driving
    Sounds like worn tires. How does the rubber look?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I forgot to say that my tires are brand new, barely even 100 miles on them, sorry about that

Comment

Make sure both the front and rear tires are aligned and you put the correct fluid in the forks?
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

it may also be your steering bearings i had a prob with mine, it always felt like it was fighting me while i was riding.

Comment

Originally posted by INNO View Post
            it may also be your steering bearings.

Also check the wheel bearings.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Sit on the bike with engine off, in neutral. Squeeze front brake and hold. Rock the bike back and forth. If the forks feel loose or you hear a knock, tighten up or replace the head tube bearings. Also, you had the forks off to replace the seals. Are the fork tubes at equal lengths thru the top triple or are the tubes flush with the triple?

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                Sit on the bike with engine off, in neutral. Squeeze front brake and hold. Rock the bike back and forth. If the forks feel loose or you hear a knock, tighten up or replace the head tube bearings. Also, you had the forks off to replace the seals. Are the fork tubes at equal lengths thru the top triple or are the tubes flush with the triple?
                I just checked and the tubes are not exactly flush, so I'm going to fix that part and see what happens. Thanks for all your help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Elosion15 View Post
                  I just checked and the tubes are not exactly flush, so I'm going to fix that part and see what happens. Thanks for all your help guys!
                  A little bit wont make any difference. But if your going to fix it? do a front end alinement.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...rontSuspension

Comment

Read this.

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                    swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                    Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Comment

i found out something new today, The left nob on the top of the forks that i guess adjust the fork spring tension or something will not click, it just spins really easy verses the right one which clicks like normal. Im going to the junkyard and get a better fork and a new shock for the rear and tell ya what happens.

EDIT:

Looked at the steering bearings and they was really dirty. Cleaned those off and replaced bad fork and now its fixed, thanks for everyone's input

-Jason
                      Last edited by Elosion15; 04-15-2009, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X