X

ivan's jet kit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ivan's jet kit

I've searched for about two hours on a pretty good post on jet kits, particularly Ivan's. I've darn near torn the carbs from my bike when I bought it. I had to clean them out so I think I could get a fairly decent mechanical job done with the assistance of you guys. I also have the haynes manual. I found the post to install K&N jet kits but I've also seen posts where the Ivan's kit is alot better but its also a little more difficult to install and to perfect. I'm in Germany so going to the shop could be quite costly if I chose them to install it.

Does anyone have any insight on installing the Ivan's? or maybe should I just get the K&N? Thanks!

go to Trinc's link and check it out
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

all the jet kits require a bit of 'adjustment'.

i wrote the k&n how-to but am testing an aspect of ivan's kit. from what has been stated - ivan has great technical help if needed.

if you can't get it on a dyno - plan on pulling the plugs a few times ( which may require you to pull the carbs apart for further adjustments )

tim

Comment

If you do not have any additional intake or exhaust modifications from stock, Ivan's kit should work for you with no alterations, although you may want to either replace the needle springs with weaker ones or cut them down by 1/3rd of their length (Ivan's own suggestion; quickens throttle response coming off idle).

Having installed his kit and then dyno'd it, it came out with no adjustments necessary when used with the settings he specified in the instructions. And, no, there is no more work installing the Ivan's kit than there is installing the K&N (same basic parts get replaced). Finally, if you are in Germany, there is an authorized Ivan reseller in the UK who should be able to possibly post it to you cheaper than ordering directly from Ivan's; his email address is [email protected] and his name is Stephen.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks cyber, you're always a help. About the reseller in the UK though, I'm in the military and shipping over here wouldn't be a problem. Is there any other pluses to using them in Europe? Also, I'm completely stock so I should be good installing his kit per the directions. What do you guys suggest that I do for the springs? Does Ivan have them for sale? Also, Cyber, didn't I see you post that you just left the factory springs in untouched and had success with it?

Comment

If you're APO/FPO, order directly from Ivan. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Yes, I left the factory springs in there (Ivan's kit, at least at the time I got it -- the 2nd actual one he built for the 98+ Kat 600 to the best of my knowledge) did not include replacement springs. After dyno'ing it here locally, he and I went over the results on the phone and he re-recommended cutting the springs. I shared that info with Tim (Trinc), and since Tim had an extra set laying around, he tried it -- with the expected results that Ivan was promising.

Basically, if you slap your bike up to an exhaust analyzer, as soon as you come off idle, the change in vacuum (or lag in vaccum) makes the mixture run really rich momentarily. The time it takes the vacuum to push up against the slides dictates how long it takes for the mixture to get to it's new state; reducing the spring tension reduces the force against the slides, thus making them open faster and improving that immediate off-idle response. It is absolutely not necessary in order to enjoy the benefits of the jetkit; it's just an advanced tuning technique.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X