X

Interesting page from my owners manual

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting page from my owners manual

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this one. Heres the suggested shift speeds for the katana 750 straight from the owners manual. I think its safe to say they are a erring on the safe side here. If you actually drove like this you should be riding a lark scooter.
    Shifting up
    Gear pos KM/H MPH
    1ST - 2ND 20 12
    2ND -3RD 30 19
    3RD-4TH 40 25
    4TH-5TH 50 31
    5TH-6TH 60 37 ??

Down KM/H MPH
    6th to 5th 40 25
    5th to 4th 30 19
    4th to 3rd 20 12

Now assuming they made a misprint and put the km/hr in the mph section, it would still be abusing the hell out of your bike....
    Custom flat black,pin stripes,mesh mod,Custom fender eliminator,signal integrator,Custom handlebars,New smoke screen,Braada cowl soon,clear signals.Later-Jet kit,K&N air filter ............................

They're not misprints. If you baby your bike, follow these guidelines -- at least through the break-in period... They are intended for neophyte riders for whom the Kat is the first bike.

The most important ones are the down-shift speeds for 3rd and lower (esp 2nd and 1st) -- to keep you from damaging your tranny. I can't say how often I've seen a new rider slam his bike back into 2nd or 1st at speeds above 30 or 40 and heard the horrible crunch when it happens...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

WOW, even in break in I would find it bogging the bike down bad following these guidelines.. 37 in 6th, Im going to try that tomorrow just to experiment
      Custom flat black,pin stripes,mesh mod,Custom fender eliminator,signal integrator,Custom handlebars,New smoke screen,Braada cowl soon,clear signals.Later-Jet kit,K&N air filter ............................

Comment

Originally posted by Katana Nate
        WOW, even in break in I would find it bogging the bike down bad following these guidelines.. 37 in 6th, Im going to try that tomorrow just to experiment
        It'll bog down a bike that has been rejetted or mod'd in any way, but it's possible to do if it's still bone-stock, new and in break-in (provided you're not trying to accelerate).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

I remember reading that and thinking "the lawyers have got everyone running for cover". :lol

Ridiculous shift speeds, even for break-in, IMHO.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Working...
            X