X

Tire/wheel removal no stands.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire/wheel removal no stands.

I need to repaint my wheels and wanted to know other than front and rear stands, if there was a way to take the wheels off the bike. Thanks
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

If you still have the dual exhausts, I used a car jack with a 2x4 on it. Jacked at the oil pan, then I had built a box of sorts out of scrap wood to slide under it. Combination of the oil pan and exhaust pipes resting on the box allowed me to be able to remove both wheels.

Or get a center stand.

Comment

This is how I changed my tires.... good luck

Comment

As was mentioned, a 2x4 and a jack can work. Best to place the weight on the frame and not the oilpan, though.

Oh yeah, and make sure you don't hit your oil cooler lines with the jack. Can loosen the banjo bolts or crack the hard line and spray oil all over the pavement in traffic. Not that I know this from personal experience or anything. Man that's a hardy lil' engine...

--B

Comment

I don't have tire stand either......but Jimmy does
          This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
          BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

put hooks in the cealing then use tiestraps one to the front tree and one to the rear grab bar. that will hold them up so you can change the tires."redneck meck." but it works
            sigpic

Comment

Ok, so some good choices. I have a Pre so not sure if I can fit a center stand. Can I?
              FROM WORK:
              "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post

Sorry ED, but that just scares the hell out of me. I'll do mine one tire at a time. The thought of that jack kicking out just doesn't sit well.

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post

Center stand nearly straight up and down , could easily end up forward
                    For safety I would put the front axle back in and put a jack stand in instead of the jack
                    You are putting way to much trust in your napa (RIGHT) jack even tho you put a 2x4 for back up
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I learned my lesson almost the hard way. I changed my fork oil, bike on center stand. When I pushed down on the forks to make sure all of the oil was out I almost lost the bike. Not realizing it, all of the weight went forward and down. Bike rolled off the stand but I was there to catch it in time. I almost dropped my jewels but I saved the bike.

Comment

With a centerstand rear goes up in the air, the the rear wheel comes off. Then I pick the front up and set each fork leg on a fully extended jack stand. That got me through about 5 tie changes. Then I got the Buell and had to get stands. Pitbull swingarm stand in the rear newfront stand up front, and I really can't imagine going back.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I used something similar to Ed's method, but I had a tool box instead of a jack. It took a couple of days to get the tires mounted and the bike was just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                            Center stand nearly straight up and down , could easily end up forward
                            For safety I would put the front axle back in and put a jack stand in instead of the jack
                            You are putting way to much trust in your napa (RIGHT) jack even tho you put a 2x4 for back up
                            It sat like that for 2 days and was fine. I do stuff my way, you can do it your way.

oh and I dd put the front axle back in.
                            Last edited by IndyGunner; 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                              Sorry ED, but that just scares the hell out of me. I'll do mine one tire at a time. The thought of that jack kicking out just doesn't sit well.
                              I used to jam a short 4x4 up under the front of the oil pan . Left it that way for several days at a time . Also have used a cinder block under the forks .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X