X

Looses Electric power when put into gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looses Electric power when put into gear

I have a 1994 Kat I am working on fixing up. Been setting for a couple of years. Got it all cleaned up, carbs, etc. Starts, idles and runs like a champ. However, when I place it in gear, I loose all electrical power except the Check Oil lite remains on. Place into nuteral and I can start it back up... This one has got me stumped and I am asking the "Experts" for a little advice.
    Notes: Have bybased the kickstand and still have issue.

I do not have a Pre so on the details of what-is-what I wont be able to say, however it definitely sound like an electrical safety switch issue.

Others will be around to tell you specifically so be patient.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Are you sure you bypassed the kick stand switch correctly? That's what it sounds like to me.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I third the kickstand switch, that's exactly what it sounds like. How many minutes are you warming the bike up before putting it in gear? Mine had me waiting for a while (no more than 5 minutes) before it would go into gear without spinning and stalling in my gravel driveway .
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks, I found the issue. Connector by the battery. Unplugged it and reconnected it and I now don't have an issue. Can someone recommend a good electric grease?

Comment

Just go to autozone or similar and ask for dielectric grease. They have the single packets for small jobs.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
            X