X

Octane rating

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octane rating

Ok, I have had my bike for two years and have run 91 octane from day one with the exception of once. I read in CP's newbies thread that 87 should be run. When I did use less than 91 (I think it was 89) my bike ran like crap. So my question is should I keep running 91? Or what would be the best thing?
    Think safe, ride safe.

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Read this thread, it has all your answers.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Comment

Thanks Ed... So you think I should run a can of Seafoam through it? I know the valves need adjusting, but anything other than that?
        Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Seafoam can help an engine. I highly recommend using it every 3-5000 mi... BUT it is no substitute for cleaning/tuning carbs and tuning valves.

Give it a shot, good luck.
          Last edited by IndyGunner; 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM.

Comment

OK thanks Ed, I will give it a shot. But like I said I know the valves need to be done too. How often should the carbs be cleaned?
            Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Manual says carb clean/sync and valve tune every 7500..... I think thats a bit pre-mature.... Id say every 9-10k OR when it starts running bad. whichever comes first. Obviously if you winterize it correctly and run it often it will need to be less frequently cleaned as opposed to someone who just leaves it outside for extended periods of time with no fuel stabilizer in.

...and no problem man, im here to help.

Comment

Working...
              X