X

Starting + running issues...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting + running issues...

Hello. I read through the archives and gathered alot of information on this issue I am having. I have a theory as to what is wrong but I'd like to post my symptoms here and see if everyone is on the same page before I go and a) pay someone to mess up my bike even more, or b) attempt to work on it myself.

Background: Bike sat for 10 years. Bike was unusable. brought it to the shop and had the tires replaced, typical maintenance, fuel lines replaced, carbs cleaned, battery replaced, etc. I am pretty sure the shop did shoddy work...

Issue:
    When cold:
    Bike won't start, smells like fuel after attempt. Sometimes, if the choke is in just the right position and the ambient temp is just right, and the moon is full, it will start. Most times if I full choke, it won't start and smells like fuel. I've attempted finding a sweet spot on the choke but I've had no luck.

The bike will start when I use starter fluid and 1/4-4/4 choke, but typically revs up to about 6000 rpm, and stays generally high. I adjust the choke down to keep the RPMS around 2200-1200, until it will idle around 1200 w/o choke. I did adjust the idle adj screw to maintain RPMS at 1200.

When hot:
    It starts, but idles around 3000rpm. At any speed while advancing throttle either full open or anything greater than small increments, the engine bogs completely. Bogging is not an issue above 6000rpm.

note: seems to be using alot more fuel than it should. Ie: I have driven about 50 miles with the above cocnditions and I have used over 1/4 tank, approaching 1/2 tank.

My theory is that the carb controlling idle/low RPM is getting too much fuel to the float bowl. Needs adjusting. Also, the carbs could be out of sync, but I won't know unless I check the fuel first.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I suspect multiple problems immediately, including:
    - bad float bowl seal (or seals) -- this would justify the fuel consumption rates.
    - engine bogging would imply that the carbs are either fitted with non-standard parts or has defective parts (diaphragm spring too strong or diaphragm slides torn) and/or there is a small vacuum leak somewhere that is keeping the slides from rising properly (they are vacuum operated).
    - The extremely high idle may indicate that it's fueling the idle circuit via the float bowl leakage rather than the pilot circuits.

No matter how you slice it, it's time to remove and lay-open the carbs for further investigation. Most shops tend to rush carbs because they are very time-consuming and often miss small issues. If you don't feel you are mechanically competent to dig into them, shoot Arsenic a PM about doing a carb-swap (he rebuilds/adjusts/repairs them -- properly).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CyberPoet, I appreciate the response. I am going to send Arsenic an email. Thanks again.

Comment

So I sent arsenic an email just in case.

I pulled the carbs out, opened them up slightly just to have a look inside, and they look spotless. I know that doesn't mean that they are put together correctly..but I'm going to troubleshoot as much as possible before I drop more $$.

I am going to try adjusting the float bowls and then the sync screws. the #1 and #4 screws are way out, and the #2 and #3 are way in...

Comment

Start by pulling the pilot screws and looking at their o-rings, and their holes. Don't screw with the sync to start with...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ugh

Update.. I know it's been a while.

Looks like the "mechanics" that "fixed" my bike only worked on one carb. The other carbs are bad. I was only able to get one cover off, the rest of the screws are stripped.

Anyway. I can't post to the "for sale" section, but this bike is up for sale. I wanted to give the katriders a heads-up. I am deploying shortly and don't have time to work on this bike. Sad, because this bike is in great condition, with only 6400 miles on it, all California miles too.

If someone would be so kind to post it in the for sale section, that would be great. Otherwise.. it's up on craigslist in the Savannah, GA area.

Comment

Working...
            X