X

Petcock Connection Problems!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock Connection Problems!!

Question for you guys, I was looking at the picture below and I realized that on my 92 Kat 600, the fuel outlet on the right is not connected to any hoses, it is actually plugged off.

Is this a problem that might be contributing to my bike running very rich? Please help and I'll try to answer any and all questions you guys might have...

Makes me wonder if the carbs are 98+ carbs then -- the pre-98 carbs have two fuel connectors on them (on between carbs 1 & 2, and the other between 3 & 4); the 98+ carbs have a single connector, located between carbs 2 & 3.

And generally, no, given pre-98 carbs, it would be likely to make some of your cylinders (the ones furthest away from the fuel connector) run dry.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think the 88/89 carbs only used one feed as well... but they were a different size.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

the only feed that goes into the vacuum port is from the side of cylinder 4.

Also, when I checked the temperature on the headers, cylinders 1&2 run like 300-400 degrees, while cylinders 3&4 run only about 140 degrees. I assumed this was because cylinders 3&4 were running rich.

Comment

3&4 shouldn't be that different.

It's time to do some detective work on your carbs, and pull the spark plugs for a look see.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post

It's time to do some detective work on your carbs, and pull the spark plugs for a look see.
            i will check the plugs and see . . .

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post

Note that 3 & 4 share a fuel supply on your bike, while 1 & 2 share a different feed. It's possible that the feed to 3&4 is kinked, blocked or has an air leak at the O-rings on the fuel rail at the carbs. This would potentially make those cylinders lean enough in fuel-air mix as to not detonate their mix. Are you getting any rippling or booming out of the exhaust?

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                Note that 3 & 4 share a fuel supply on your bike, while 1 & 2 share a different feed. It's possible that the feed to 3&4 is kinked, blocked or has an air leak at the O-rings on the fuel rail at the carbs. This would potentially make those cylinders lean enough in fuel-air mix as to not detonate their mix. Are you getting any rippling or booming out of the exhaust?
                yes, on decel here is usually a popping sound as though it's misfiring coming out the right exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by aznthundrhed View Post
                  yes, on decel here is usually a popping sound as though it's misfiring coming out the right exhaust
                  That means those cylinders are running too lean on the idle circuit. Now time to figure out if it's the fuel-supply as the issue, or the jetting (clogged pilot jets, etc.).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    That means those cylinders are running too lean on the idle circuit. Now time to figure out if it's the fuel-supply as the issue, or the jetting (clogged pilot jets, etc.).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

the carbs were cleaned out when I first got the bike, it was taken apart and all jets cleared and cleaned. I thought it was running too rich thus the smell of gas burning.

Comment

pssssst. pay close attention to the pilot jets. they are plugged. i have been battling this for awhile now.

Comment

is that all the pilot jets or just the cylinders that are running cool?

Comment

Originally posted by aznthundrhed View Post
                          the carbs were cleaned out when I first got the bike, it was taken apart and all jets cleared and cleaned. I thought it was running too rich thus the smell of gas burning.
                          Gas only detonates in the cylinder in certain fuel-air ratios (centered around the stoichiometric ratio, which is the ratio where all the fuel gets consumed with no left-over oxygen in the air). As compression levels rise, the valid range of fuel-air ratios decreases. On the Kat, that range is generally from 11.9:1 - 16.4:1, with anything below 13:1 being way too rich and anything above 14.6:1 being way too lean.

It's very easy to have the default jetting (set around 14.5:1 at idle) to build up a little build-up and push the numbers above 18:1 at idle -- which would result in the cylinder not firing and pushing the fuel-air mix out into the exhaust. Once there, the hot exhaust from the other cylinders can ignite it, which causes the rippling or after-fires (bangs, pops) one tends to hear. If the other pipes aren't hot enough yet, it doesn't burn and what you smell is fuel coming out the pipes -- just like it being too rich.

Either way, time to dig back into your carbs.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what should i look for and adjust exactly when going through my carb?

1) check float height
                            2) clear pilot jets
                            3) adjust A/F mixture screw
                            4) check float needle
                            5) . . .

Comment

I only clear the jet on the cylinder that is cool. Don't only clear the jets, do all of the passageway's to them also. Every time I put it back together it runs fine until the rust in my tank clogs them again. I have cleaned #2,3,& 4 so far. As of now I have all 4 firing. This is one of the biggest PIA I have dealt with.

Comment

Working...
                              X