X

Workin' on the Kat...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workin' on the Kat...

Well, done lots of work to the 600 Katana the last 3 weeks. New chain and sprocket set ($140 from Ron Ayers...great deal), and a new clutch release thread. That all went well. The old chain & sprocket set had 25,000 on them and when held up to the new set looked worn out. Also, bike 'pulsed' at steady speed due to a tight kink in the chain. That's all better.

Then I dove into the carbs. I switched over to a stage I kit (FactoryPro) last year from a stage III (DynoJet) and installed a stock air box & cleaner. Started having issues when hot around the 3-4 K area, so I pulled the carbs apart to raise the floats 1mm. Found the main jets were missing their little spacer washers. Got those from my dealer ($8 for 4 little brass washers...rip off) and reassembled the carbs at stock settings (.57 for the floats but 2 turns out for the pilots).

Hmmm. Since I know I'm not done, I've been riding a naked standard street bike (Katana with no plastics). It's a trip and looks real??mean??. I kinda miss that wind pulling the helmet off feel. Anyways, bike is a tick lean above 5 K when cold, but warms up and runs good, so I think raise the needles one clip? Also, still a little fat at 3-4K when hot, so bring the floats up ˝mm. Runs great at steady speed anywhere and good power with no surging right up to red line. The main jets seem to be spot on.

There is a moral to this story. It is to NOT buy a bike that has been "tuned" unless the price is too low to pass up (like free!). Man, I have been finding problems (like missing main jet spacers...) from day one. The bike is beautiful, but what a pain in the arse to get it to run smooth.

Soon to be running trouble free, I hope!!

My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

At least your able to do your own work. Sounds like your doing a good job so far.
    Kyle

Comment

Yes, thanks. Truth is I took this bike, back in Feb 2004, to a local shop with a dyno and tons of good reputation. They tried to dyno tune my new stage I kit but said my floats were sticking open, needed new one (4 at $65 a pop...), then he spent 10 hours (yes, 10!) trying to tune it before realizing there were small plastic pieces getting into the bowls and jamming the floats open (new floats at $260? HAH, try tiny pieces of plastic from my petcock!!!). Inline filters cured that, the bike was decently tuned and easy to ride, all for $810 US!!. Lasted one year, then started having problems again. Take it back? No way. I'll learn and do it myself...with help from this forum (cyberpoet comes to mind...) and the good folks at FactoryPro (Marc).

Comment

Yes, I save saved a bunch of money at Geico! (I mean KR...with honorable mention to tha Poet, Trinc, and BP)

Comment

I hear you brother, I have had my 94 kat now for abour 3 months and have put so much time into it. At least I know that everything I fix is done right not half arse like the previous owner. All with thanks to this forum!!
          I think the chain and sprocket will be next as well

Comment

I think everybody on this site has learned valuable insight when it comes to working on thier bikes. Myself included. Whenever I have a question,I search the forums, and the info has been there time and time again.

Nice work!

Comment

Even I dig into the forums when I have a question (yes, occasionally I run into things I've never done before or never screwed up before, etc)... it's a great resource.

Next on my list of proper mods:
              Replace everything involved in letting the rear wheel spin -- rear axle, rear pads, rear rotor, rear bearings, chain, sprockets. Chain is ready for renewal (or definitely will be by the time I get back from the gap), sprockets are obvious if you're replacing the chain, I already have the rear pads & rotor (free -- thanks to EBC racing tech support!), and the axle/bearings because I think some gorilla at a local shop did the bearings in when they changed the tire for me (bearings are cheap; axle is simply peace of mind at the same time).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by just4fun
                I hear you brother, I have had my 94 kat now for abour 3 months and have put so much time into it. At least I know that everything I fix is done right not half arse like the previous owner. All with thanks to this forum!!
                I think the chain and sprocket will be next as well
                I am very happy with the deal that Ron Ayers gave me on my RK chain and sprocket set. Like I said, $140 delivered! Only problem was it had the press on master link, and while I bummed the correct tool to do the job, a friend also had a snap on master and that's what I'm used to, so I used that. If you buy a new chain, be aware that you will need the tool for pressing the master link together, and you want to borrow one, not buy one (like $80...).

Comment

Originally posted by katrider
                  I am very happy with the deal that Ron Ayers gave me on my RK chain and sprocket set. Like I said, $140 delivered! Only problem was it had the press on master link, and while I bummed the correct tool to do the job, a friend also had a snap on master and that's what I'm used to, so I used that. If you buy a new chain, be aware that you will need the tool for pressing the master link together, and you want to borrow one, not buy one (like $80...).
                  Remember that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link; snap-on masterlinks are about 30% weaker than rivet-style master links.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

True...but you know, bigger dirt bikes use the same chain as the Kats, and they always use clip together master links. Think of the stress put on a XR450 dirt chain! If you feel uncertain with a clip, absolutely go with the rivet style. But I am comfortable with the old style master links so I run 'em...

Comment

All your mods that you have done sounds good. I will be doing my chain and sprocket soon. And then a jet kit on it. And I haven't been on the site long but found alot of good information on this site and love it.
                      Know your means and then ride within them.

Comment

Please keep in mind that the engine will fatten up once the plastics are put back on ......

Trust me. I know this from experience.

Cheers

Buc
                        it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

UMMMM... makes me think. i wanted to find a bike all ready <jetted and hedded, but glad that i got a later year and totally stock. now i just have a slip on and new windsheild and mesh mod but that is it..(so far)

Comment

Yeah, stay away from other people's nightmares. Create your own!! To do all over again I probably would have bought this bike anyways but would have dickered him down more and then gone into it with eyes wide open.

Stock is the best starting point.

Why does putting the plastic on fatten it up? I mean, less air flow, right? But I, hmmm, wait! The opening under the seat where the filter breathes gets closed up with the plastic. Makes sense. So leave the needles alone and still raise the floats, but maybe a full mm??

Comment

That is correct..Less air flows to the air box as a result of the plastic once installed.

I jetted my 96 spot on..........and then had it run like $hit once I put the plastics back on. I must have had the carbs off 20 times so having the skins off sure made things easier.......so I thought.

Buc..
                              it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

Working...
                              X