Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the detailed info EX...it really helps,
    I have another question though.

One plug was carbon fouled (too rich)
    Can this be an ignition problem instead of a carb problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
      One plug was carbon fouled (too rich)
      Can this be an ignition problem instead of a carb problem?
      It could be a spark plug wire issue; since two cylinders fire off a single coil, if the coil or anything before the coil was bad, a pair of cylinders would be showing the same symptoms. Most likely it's a carb issue or vacuum-seal issue.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I once again took out all four plugs and they all appear to be carbon fouled now!

BTW...I mixed up the order when i took out the plugs...The wires are labeled...is it just 1-2-3-4 from left to right, or are they in a diff order
        Thanks

Comment

Another thing to check is carb synch, which can directly effect how the bikt idles. When you say the plug is carbon fouled, are you going by looks, or did you actually check it?

An easy way to see if the plug is truely bad it with a multimeter set on the Ohms setting.

Touch positive to the tip of the plug (the end that plugs into the wire) and touch the negative to the threads. A good plug will read nothing or infinate. A bad plug (electrically fouled and junk) will give you a Ohms reading.

If one cylinder seems to give you trouble, check the main jets, not all years, but some, Suzuki stuck larger jets in the inner two cylinders, if you mix them up it could cause a problem.
          If you wanna live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn!!!

Comment

Do you need the engine to idle first, in order to perform a carb sync?

I made my judgement on the condition of the carbs as related to the picture of "Spark plug conditions chart" in the back of my haynes

Comment

Yes .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                Yes .
                It needs to idle at 1700 - 1800 RPM to do it... normally that means getting a stable idle and then turning up the idle thumbwheel to jack the RPM's up.

PS - you do the sync with the engine hot. Attach the hoses before it heats up

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks cyber.

I also noticed, when i take my plugs out to observe the spark in the gap, two are orange, while the other two are blue.

Orange means its a weak current, could that be my problem with the misfiring, idle too?

Do i need new coil packs and wires?

Comment

blue is healthy.

Which cylinders had the orange spark? This will tell us if the problem can include a bad coil or just bad wires/plugs...

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ill keep you informed, i know for sure it was cyl 4, not sure of the other one..

I just put new plugs in again, and ill check tonite, when its darker

thanks

Comment

well, i put the carbs back in today and big difference.

After a quick ride, it was running horrible, spuddering and what not...so i adjusted the throttle screw, and check the plugs, started it up. and it runs great.

Lets see what tomorrow brings
                        Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                        X