X

oil in the timing case

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil in the timing case

first let me start my saying hello my name is adam and im new to the forum, I have a 93 katana 600 that i recently picked up from one of my buddys, i doesnt run and that is why i got it so cheap but i have a pretty big back ground in working on cars and worked for some years as a tech though this is my first bike. that being said the bike has little to no spark so i was pulling the timing cover and come to find out it has a timing advancer on it but oddly the timing components were all covered in oil. any ideas? i saw the oil sender had no teflon tape on it, thanks in advance

It's normal to have a little oil in the bottom but not coating everything. Try starting the bike for a moment with the cover off and see if the sender is leaking oil.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Welcome, and when I got my bike new in 06 and put in the advancer, there was a little bit of oil in there. Oil is normal, but too much and you've got a problem.

Comment

should i put some teflon tape on the sender before i put it back?

Comment

?

try not to over do it i leads to the oil pan and oil pump dont want to block anything

Comment

If you look down by that oil sender, you will see the baffle to the crank case..
            That is where the oil is coming from..

Comment

Working...
            X