Carb Quest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Quest

Hi,
    I have searched the forums and I am unable to find the answer to my quest.

A while back I had my bike dyno'd by a guy who did not have a lot of experience, he jetted my bike, Factory Pro with 106 jets mikuni (main jet) and the small velocity ring, as I left the dyno the bike surged like hell, (the dyno room was really hot), He replaced the mains back to Stock 110's mikuni mains and the bike ran fine.

After much deliberation with myself and recalling the events of the day and a lot of reading of the instructions from Factory Pro, K&N, Dynojet, I came to the conclusion that the guy did not know what he was doing.

When the large ring was fitted he tried various jets and could not get the bottom end dialled in, low RPM. not sure if this was WOT or not, so I do not know why he stayed with the small ring??

My bike is UK spec 600cc katana, 5° ignition advance, K&N, full micron race system, it was Dyno'd with 110 mikuni mains as standard. With small ring fitted, needles 3rd, float level 14.6,new emulsion tubes (suzuki)

I have fitted 117.5 mikuni mains and the large velocity ring as I feel / understand that if I can get more air/fuel mixture then this will increase speed - I tried the large ring with 110 mikuni mains I got masses of lean surging so much so it was like riding a bronco hence why I upped the size.

Does anyone know the size change of main jets between the two velocity ring sizes as I am unsure as to if I have gone too large, and some people I have spoken to think that 117.5 mikuni mains might be a bit too large a main for a 600 and I do not want to pay out any more money for dyno time as there is no one I trust in this area (near Leeds UK)

K&N filter #SU7592 instructions,
    Install the appropriate velocity ring.
    Small diameter velocity ring: To be used on a stock motorcycle.
    Large diameter velocity ring: To be used for increased air flow on a motorcycle that has a carburettor recalibration kit installed.

Dynojet instructions,
    1. If you are running a K&N stock replacement air filter you will need to use a main jet that is 10 points larger. If you are using the DJ106 main jets you will need to install the DJ116 main jets. If you are using the DJ110 you will need to install the DJ120 main jet.

Guy shows up every few years.... Posts a question and disappears...

How you been?
    I bet Arsenic might have your answer he know all about K&N filters...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      Guy shows up every few years.... Posts a question and disappears...

How you been?
      I bet Arsenic might have your answer he know all about K&N filters...
      I've missed you too!!

Comment

BP, I'm not gonna trash K&N filters, I've done that enough. UK spec bikes are different, they don't have all that emissions crap. PM superman tone, he's from the UK, and he says he gotten K&N to work fine.

Comment

Working...
        X