X

Brand New Battery won't hold a charge!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Santiago View Post
    Just received a new Yuasa battery for my 2000 Kat. I know it says "This battery comes to you filled with electrolyte and has abeen sealed and fully chartged at the factory."
    That would imply that it's a YTZ battery rather than a YTX battery... YTX batteries come with acid you add and then seal (or the local dealer does before handing it to you); YTZ is pre-filled at the factory. In both of these cases, after they are filled, they immediately get sealed (before charging, etc.). You NEVER add anything in terms of liquid and you NEVER unseal them. They are designed to recapture any gases & fluids that come off the electrolyte and hold them internally until they can be reabsorbed; the only time they'll vent is via an emergency blow-off flap that tears opens if the battery is otherwise going to explode due to too much pressure due to too high a charge rate (example: hooking it up to a big automotive style charger and walking away).

But just incase I check and it's less than 12.8 V, I want to have my bases covered.

I've read the instructions, but want to confirm a few things:

1. Under where it says it's ready to go it says:

"For refresh charge, follow the instrucitons carefully"

When testing the voltage, what reading would indicate the need for a "refresh charge"?
    A YTZ should only arrive at 12.8 volts if it's been sitting on a shelf for a year or more before shipping out. Typically, they are under 3 weeks old when they reach your doorstep, and it's a non-issue, with them reading well over 12.8 (I think mine was 13.2 when it got here).

2. In the event I do need a refresh charge, after adding the electrolytes, is letting it settle for 3 hours enough time?
    If it's a YTZ, it'll already be settled normally, unless it was jostled & slammed around by the delivery guy especially harshly (sitting in the box, right-way-up, it'll be good after an hour).
    YTX, let sit for a couple hours after adding the acid before hooking up the charger, then leave your Waterproof 800 on it until the light goes green...

3. So after adding the electrolytes, and waiting the correct amount of time for it to settle, it's time to charge. I have a Deltran Battery Tender Waterproof 800. How can I properly use the battery tender to provide the initial charge (e.g., how long should I have it hooked to it?).
    Proper use (YTX + Deltran Charger):
    Fill & seal battery. Let sit for 2 hours.
    Connect charger to battery.
    Connect charger to 120v.
    Check light on charger (should be yellow); walk away. Come back in 8-10 hours and check again (should be green).
    Disconnect 120v supply.
    Disconnect charger from battery.
    Install battery.
    Ride.

Proper use (YTZ + Deltran Charger):
    Check voltage - over 12.8 Volts? If yes:
    Install battery in bike.
    Ride.
    Hook up the charger when you come home

If no:
    Hook up charger, wait for light to go green, then install.
    Ride

4. After the initial charge, properly seat the strip of caps and then just install it in the bike or let it sit some more?
    Install the caps before you connect the charger. YTZ (factory-filled) should have no caps to install (already installed at the factory).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That would imply that it's a YTZ battery rather than a YTX battery... YTX batteries come with acid you add and then seal (or the local dealer does before handing it to you); YTZ is pre-filled at the factory. In both of these cases, after they are filled, they immediately get sealed (before charging, etc.). You NEVER add anything in terms of liquid and you NEVER unseal them. They are designed to recapture any gases & fluids that come off the electrolyte and hold them internally until they can be reabsorbed; the only time they'll vent is via an emergency blow-off flap that tears opens if the battery is otherwise going to explode due to too much pressure due to too high a charge rate (example: hooking it up to a big automotive style charger and walking away).
      Nope, it's a YTX. And that's what made it confusing. It implied it was ready to go, but then included the separate pack of acid and instructions on how to prep it. Thanks for the tip on the caps. The instructions say to simply place them loosely over the holes during the initial charge.

I'll follow your instructions for a YTX.

I just have a few follow up questions:

1. Standard battery unhooking and hooking.

When taking out of a bike\car: disconnect negative first, disconnect positive second
      Hooking up to charger/bike: connect positive first, negative second

Is that correct?

2. By the time I get home, if it takes 8 - 10 hours to charge after filling with acid and waiting 2 hours, I will probably be at work by the time the charge is done. I imagine since it's a trickle charger, it won't harm it by sitting around in green for another 14 hours? That being said, if I can not ride immediately after it is taken off of the charger, is it smarter to just leave it on the charger?

Cyber, as usual, thank you for your help.
      The Armor of God - Never leave home without it!

Comment

Nope, it's a YTX. And that's what made it confusing. It implied it was ready to go, but then included the separate pack of acid and instructions on how to prep it. Thanks for the tip on the caps. The instructions say to simply place them loosely over the holes during the initial charge.
        If that's what the manufacturer's instructions say, do that. They obviously have more experience with them than I do
        If it's instructions from the seller (and not the factory), follow my instructions. As far as I'm aware, caps-off/caps-loose is normally only for non-sealed batteries. And the advice about never removing the strips again once installed remains the same

ooking up to charger/bike: connect positive first, negative second
        No order preference -- but don't plug the charger into the wall until after the battery is connected on both negative & positive connections from the charger.

By the time I get home, if it takes 8 - 10 hours to charge after filling with acid and waiting 2 hours, I will probably be at work by the time the charge is done. I imagine since it's a trickle charger, it won't harm it by sitting around in green for another 14 hours?
        It wouldn't hurt it even if you left it connected for the next 365 days -- the Waterproof 800 will cycle as needed.

That being said, if I can not ride immediately after it is taken off of the charger, is it smarter to just leave it on the charger?
        IMHO:
        The charger came with spare leads to install onto the battery when it's in the bike. Install it into the bike with those leads and then reconnect the charger again. Always keep the bike plugged in when not riding and you'll never have an issue (at least for many years).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM. Reason: Clarity
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If that's what the manufacturer's instructions say, do that. They obviously have more experience with them than I do
          If it's instructions from the seller (and not the factory), follow my instructions. As far as I'm aware, caps-off/caps-loose is normally only for non-sealed batteries. And the advice about never removing the strips again once installed remains the same
          It's the manufacturer's instructions, so I'll leave them loose.

Sweet, on everything else. I want to be able to take her for a ride when I get home tomorrow.

IMHO:
          The charger came with spare leads to install onto the battery when it's in the bike. Install it into the bike with those leads and then reconnect the charger again. Always keep the bike plugged in when not riding and you'll never have an issue (at least for many years).
          I didn't know it was okay to have the tender hooked up to the battery while connected to the bike. I got to find those leads!

Cyber, I appreciate your help, thanks!

Let me know if you want me to PDF you the instructions for future use.

Thanks.
          Last edited by Santiago; 04-27-2009, 03:21 PM. Reason: Incorrect quote code
          The Armor of God - Never leave home without it!

Comment

Yes, the ring-terminal leads are there so you can leave them on the bike 24/7 and just plug in the charger whenever you're at home (or somewhere that you can charge). Many forms of heated clothing can also plug into that same plug, and there are firms that offer other accessories for the same plug (cigarette lighter socket comes to mind, to charge your phones/iPods under the seat while riding), so it can do double-duty...

Shoot the instructions to me and I'll post 'em up on the website

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X