X

Petcock bs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock bs

So I have been having issues since cleaning my carbs with priming. So after some extensive searching I found that when on prime the fuel travels an alternate route then normal.. not true there is no "alternate" fuel path..theres a spring that when turned to prime it pushes the little shaft with the o-ring on it that normally seals untill vaccume is applied. Just thought I'd clear that up.. so I butchered my little spring behind the passage block and now im SOL. So to prime I think im going to connect everything back together then pull the vaccume line off the side of the carb and suck on it a little bit while set to run or prime (same thing at this time) for about 30 sec? after that there should be enough fuel in the bowles to start it after the inital startup..make sense? ah and is the darn nipple coming off the fuel level sender connect to the nipple under the tank behind where the petcock mounts?
    Thanks!
    Rob

nipples are just for vent lines use two seperate hoses and route them down so that if you overfill it or spring a leak at the sender the gas will be on the ground not your motor

Comment

Originally posted by 91Kan_A_Tuna View Post
      So I have been having issues since cleaning my carbs with priming. So after some extensive searching I found that when on prime the fuel travels an alternate route then normal.. not true there is no "alternate" fuel path..theres a spring that when turned to prime it pushes the little shaft with the o-ring on it that normally seals untill vaccume is applied. Just thought I'd clear that up.. so I butchered my little spring behind the passage block and now im SOL. So to prime I think im going to connect everything back together then pull the vaccume line off the side of the carb and suck on it a little bit while set to run or prime (same thing at this time) for about 30 sec? after that there should be enough fuel in the bowles to start it after the inital startup..make sense? ah and is the darn nipple coming off the fuel level sender connect to the nipple under the tank behind where the petcock mounts?
      Thanks!
      Rob
      The only thing I can figure out is that you like to suck on nipples. Dude, there are two nipples on the under side of my tank: 93 750 f. The one off the sending unit goes over the air box and thru the holding mounts on the right side of the air filter and routes down to the ground. The other nipple is the tank over flow. Meaning if you over fill your tank this will drain directly to the ground. It also routes over the air box and thru the mount on the left side of the air filter and points down to the ground. Nipple on the back side of the petcock goes from the petcock over to carb #4. As for the petcock itself, I can't remember if you get new springs with the rebuild kit. I rebuilt mine last year and am getting forgetful. I think I replaced "o" rings and springs. Pardon my arrogance tonight, I'm just getting a little tired of some of the comments from other members who feel the need to make everything politically correct. It has nothing to do with anyone involved in this thread.
      Last edited by Kfreak; 03-28-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

neither one of those hoses goes over the air box.

Comment

When you say you butchered your spring, what do you mean? Usually you can get away with rebending it back into shape...

I found that when on prime the fuel travels an alternate route then normal.. not true there is no "alternate" fuel path..
          Well, I was doing a KISS (keep it simple, stupid) for the public. Yes, there is no separate pathway for the prime to flow fuel through -- it just pushes the spring out of the way on the same tube as RES. I called this a different pathway for the benefit of simpler understanding.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have no prime on my bike, my petcock was in bad shape when i got the bike. The petcock was leakingm vacuum line was shot and the spring was bent all to rat crap
            Prime can be handy but its not NEEDED
            I don't need it

The bike will start after 15-20 seconds of cranking on dry carbs
            or I can just pop the brake vacuum pump on the petcock for a couple seconds to fill um up
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

[quote=The CyberPoet;1681248]When you say you butchered your spring, what do you mean? Usually you can get away with rebending it back into shape...

Well, I was doing a KISS (keep it simple, stupid) for the public. Yes, there is no separate pathway for the prime to flow fuel through -- it just pushes the spring out of the way on the same tube as RES. I called this a different pathway for the benefit of simpler understanding.
              Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

When I say I butchered my spring, I mean that I stepped on it and put kinks and crease's in it. almost impossible to get back into form. As for your kiss comment.. ok I understand now I was just excited that there might have been somthing clogged that I didnt check before.. "this imaginary passege" then when I got to it I was like...oh **** lol but either way I undrestand and appologize.
              And katanafreak maybe you dont understand the concept as to why I would be sucking on the vac line being as my petcock is not functioning right? I have only 1 nipple coming out the tank its self. 3 on petcock 1 on level sender. Cant get much more lehman then that...

Comment

When I say I butchered my spring, I mean that I stepped on it and put kinks and crease's in it. almost impossible to get back into form.
                Are you using a petcock rebuild kit? They come with a replacement spring...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just got done rebuilding my petcock. I have the "old" spring if you want it. It looks fine. PM me your address.

Comment

Well I just sucked on the vac line for about 20 sec then plugged it back into #4 carb vac nipple. Turned to ON choke and start 2sec later she fired up around 15sec later she ran by herself! Was a thing of beauty. Took her for a quick lap around the block.. . felt good, went through the gears nice smooth and was a dream to handle. So I decided to crack on it once comming out of a corner didnt happen revs just screamed to 11k before I could get out of it.. first random thought was to look back to make sure there wasnt a 40' black mark behind me..nope.. nothing.. clutch seems to be slipping. Feels like perhaps the plate maybe toast or maybe the spings are weak.. any one else have any similar issues before?
                    Thanks
                    Rob
                    PS you think there are enough "robs" on this forum? lol

Comment

Definitely sounds like the clutch. Check the cable first thing though. You'd feel pretty silly if you spent all the money on a clutch pack when it was just the cable adjusted too tight!
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

well it felt tight.. no play on the cable. so I turned the adjustment in on the handle so there is very little play. I'll search on diff ways to adjust through the forum. Thanks for the input!
                        Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X