X

Crankcase breather question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase breather question

I'm fixing up a wrecked '06 600 and now that I have it running, I am hearing this loud sort of burping noise whenever the engine runs. I have it isolated to the small plastic box on the left front of the frame, and it has a large rubber hose going into it. There is a hole on the bottom.

I am thinking this was some sort of trap to catch oil and that this is crankcase noise. If this is not right please help me out and tell me what this is.

How can I make it quieter - is there a way to move it under the tank or seat or some place else.

thanks
    Noodle

you know this doesn't happen often, but I have no idea WTF you're talking about.
    Last edited by arsenic; 03-28-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Actually, it sounds like the air filter for the PAIR valve set-up (normally used only on the California models, but I think it was delivered on many of the '06 models as standard for pollution control reasons).

Can you shoot some pics?

Normally the crankcase breather is a black rubber tube that runs from the top center of the valve cover to the airbox over the top of the carbs.

The pollution control (PAIR) system adds a bunch of extra plumbing, including a secondary set of tubes under each exhaust header that route to a special vacuum-box (the PAIR Valve), and connected to that is also a black box containing it's own (smaller) air filter...

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyberpoet, you are correct. It is part #1 in this diagram from bikebandit:

Can I take this worthless piece of poop off my engine, or disable it?

thanks

the noodle

Comment

To eliminate this system, you need close-off plates to bolt up to where item #16 in that fiche file fits, to close off the holes on the engine. You can then eliminate all the other items in the diagram (leave the gaskets marked item #16 unless the block-off plates come with their own), and delete the connection where hose #19 connects to the vacuum line between the #1 carb and the petcock (preferably by replacing the hose from the #1 carb to the petcock with a hose that doesn't have a T-fitting in it, rather than closing off the T-fitting or replacing it).

You can find the block-off plates pre-made on the web (same ones also fit on the 99-02 Hayabusa) for anywhere from $30 - $50 (for a set of four) depending on material and vendor.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
          Last edited by The CyberPoet; 03-28-2009, 09:09 PM.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

blocking off #19?

CP,

Short of taking it off and blocking off the ports, would disconnecting or blocking #19 (the vacuum hose that ties to the line you mentioned) disable this device? My first priority is to stop the annoying noise and then perhaps take it off later.

I disabled this on a Virago and when I removed it, there were no block-off plates available. I used 1/2" copper pipe end caps and gently tapped them over the nipples - interference fit was just fine. No doubt block-off plates would work better on the Kat and also for appearance since mine will be a naked bike.

Comment

I'm not sure whether disconnecting the vacuum source at #19 would shut down the effect totally (not familiar enough with the inside of the PAIR valve to know). I know that md86 bodged-solved his by crimping over the tubes of 12 thru 15 and stuffing the ends with JB weld (epoxy) instead of using block-off plates.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hmm... that sounds a little tacky

I was able to solve the problem in the short term by plugging #3. I had a package of universal vacuum and hose plugs from Adv Auto Parts and one of them fit nicely over the hose where #3 goes on to #1. I trimmed the hose back and tucked it up under the tank, and put some goop stuff on the cap so it won't fall off if bumped.

So far so good, thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                X