Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Head gasket blown.. What to do? Where to get parts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket blown.. What to do? Where to get parts?

I have a 92 Katana 600 with a 750 engine swap. It has 22k miles.

If you remember, from 2 years ago, my kat broke down by loosing power, and I have been trying to diagnose it for some time now.
    Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Well, a VERY kind guy, Ray, came to help me, he went through the cabs. After he was confident about the carbs, we decided to do a compression test. It turns out that I had 140, 140, 20, 140.
    #3 cylinder was dead. We decided to pour some oil down into it to see if its the top or the bottom. The compression went up to over 220+ with the oil. I was very disappointed, but when we look, we saw oil coming from the front of the engine, from the #3 cylinder where the head gasket is.

So, with this, we conclude that it was the head gasket. We read the manual and followed the instructions to remove the head. I am pretty confident that it is the head gasket, because when I pull off the head, I saw oil on the front part of the gasket only, where it was leaking.

Is this conclusion correct?

What do I need to do now? What parts will I need for a head gasket change? Where is the cheapest place to find parts?

So far, I have on my list to change:
    head gasket:
    valve cover gasket
    4 o-rings for spark plugs
    6 rubber seals around head gasket under the bolts
    4 exhaust seals
    12 copper gaskets for head bolts.

Is there anything else that I need to change?
    When I price these parts at my local dealership. they come out to be $127+ tax. This dealership did not have a "head gasket KIT"

The other dealerships has a head gasket kit, but they cost $228.48 and $215 at another.

Is there additional things that come in the kit other than those things I listed? What else would I need to change? Can I get it cheaper than this online? Anyone has any suggestions?

Do you think that I need to get the head checked? My vehicle mechanic friend says that there is a reason why the head gasket failed, and the head is probably warped. What do you think of this idea? I used to a 600 oil cooler, until I realized that the person didnt change it over, so I upgraded to the 750 oil cooler. Could this have been the cause? Do I really need to get it checked?

Also, my spark plug wire pulled out of the spark plug tube. Ray says that I can just cut off the end and re-join it, or else I am going to have to spend a lot of money buying whole new rectifier and everything.
    Roops Photography|facebook|
    03 GSXR 1000
    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

The spark plug tube can be cut and rejoined, i know that much
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Hello Professor,

As to if there is anything else to add to your to-do list, I understand that it is worth replacing the washers that seal the 2 'S' oil pipes on the front of the engine. They are apparently v. cheap, and this is worth doing while you have it apart.

Comment

Yep, have the deck and head checked for flat. I'll second the o-rings for the front oil tubes. I bought my stuff from the dealer one bit at a time (as in no "kit")
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Yes, have the head checked. Also put a strait edge across the top of the cylinders just to check for any possible damage to that area.

Comment

Have the head checked, milled and a valve job done... wont be to terribly expensive. I usually have a pair of heads off V-8 for around $150. I would imagine a single head would be less expensive... Just did the head gasket on my 92, 750. I bought a whole engine kit from the dealship and it only costed me $250 and it came with every gasket for the whole engine.

I didnt have an work done on my head and it seems to be okay, but I didnt have a dead hole, just an oil leak.

I think If I were you while I was in there I would put in some new rings as well, just to make sure you eliminate all the prolblems.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Your shopping list looks ok . Head gasket can be done with engine in the bike on the pre750 , too . I only replaced the gasket and the copper rings , and the 2 o-rings up front for the oil return tubes . Careful with them , they don't like to seat properly .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Dude... you have the WORST luck...
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Usually when you put oil in and the compression goes up a lot its a ring problem

While you have the head off i would strongly recommend to pull the cylinder, check the cylinder for being within specs and also check the ring end gap etc. Rings are dirt cheap to replace anyway. So i would start fresh
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

The reason I dont think its the rings is because if it was the rings, I would not expect the oil to be pushed out through the gasket.What do you think? The head is easy to pull off, but if I was to do the rings, I would have to pull apart the entire bottom end.

Which online stores are the cheapest?
                    03 GSXR 1000
                    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

You could, with the head off, pour some light oil on top of the piston to see if it drains by the rings / piston quickly or takes several minutes. If it drains down quick you will need to remove the cylinder to check for damaged piston / rings / cylinder.
                      Personally I think that since your that far anyway, I'd remove the cylinder just to clean and check everything. But maybe that's just me.

Comment

If you have a bad ring and the oil gets pushed up into the cylinder it has to go somewhere.... possibly even out through the head gasket. Ive seen bad headaskets on a car engine tear up rings. I.e. leaking water and oil into the cylinder until the pistons rings fry.

You should not have to take apart the bottom end to put in rings, pull the cylinder base and all your pistons will be exposed.... never done it but I bet you can do it without pulling the engine.

Its your choice, we are just trying to save you the headache of pulling the head twice...... been there, done that....not fun.
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

trie bikebandits.com

Comment

you don't have to do a damn thing to the bottom end to do rings

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                              You could, with the head off, pour some light oil on top of the piston to see if it drains by the rings / piston quickly or takes several minutes. If it drains down quick you will need to remove the cylinder to check for damaged piston / rings / cylinder.
                              Personally I think that since your that far anyway, I'd remove the cylinder just to clean and check everything. But maybe that's just me.
                              The oil which I pored in did not seep down, it stayed in the cylinder the entire time. The entire time it took to pull of the head, there did not see to be any oil that leaked down past the pistons, the only place it went was out the head gasket, through the side of the engine, when the engine was intact.

I do not want to overspend on this bike. If I am going to have to do a full rebuilt engine, might as well I buy a used engine and stick it in there. This bike is old and is only valued around $1k, and that is during full riding season.

If it is better to just get a used engine and stick in there and call it a day, then that sounds better.

What do you guys think?
                              03 GSXR 1000
                              04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski

Comment

Working...
                              X