X

Losing power beyond half throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And your point would be ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Okay guys back to this post, i did break down the carb using the haynes manuel, The jet needles look just like the stock picture cyber posted up, i took everthing out, cleaned it with carb clean, blew the pieces out with air, everything looked good and clean, buttoned it all up and it runs fine but still has the issue of losing power in the upper rpms around 7K on up. Could it be a coil issue where they arent firing after a certain point? I pulled the plugs and changed them, the plugs were light black in color, not oilly or burned, seemed liked they looked fine. Also removed the airfilter and the box was dry and the filter seemed good. I pulled off the fuel filter and blew through it, air passed just fine, not clogged, what could it be?

Actually I just went to lunch on it and it seems to be pulling a little better and instead of bogging down it just kinda sits at the speed your going and doesn't accelerate unless you back off the throttle. I need to ride it more to give ya a full update
      Last edited by Stinger02; 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I had a problem like that. Tried cleaning the air filter with compressed air, didnt work. Put a new stock filter on and now runs good at wide open throttle.
        Last edited by waffenampt; 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I guess ill try that next but it almost seems like it might be something more electrical. Question, what fuction does the TPS, throttle position sensor play? I understand it in a fuel injected vehicle, but on a carb, does it change timming, or spark control? Im starting to wonder if that could be an issue. I actually unpluged the tps and still get the very same results, is it possible the sensor is dead?

Every single time in every gear, if you crank that throttle to half or beyond, its like your slowing down the motor, not killing it but just like throttling down. Its so damn odd.

Comment

Probly not breathing enough air. Its kinda hard to tell when the air filter is plugged cause you cant see the inside of it just the outside. My filter looked kinda clean but it wasnt. At wide open throttle with a dirty filter it felt like it had a rpm limiter , but since I put the new filter on it screams, and doesnt do what it was doing before. Was having trouble getting over 120 mph or around 9,ooo rpm. Now it goes right up to 13,ooo and goes fast enough

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
              I guess ill try that next but it almost seems like it might be something more electrical. Question, what fuction does the TPS, throttle position sensor play? I understand it in a fuel injected vehicle, but on a carb, does it change timming, or spark control? Im starting to wonder if that could be an issue. I actually unpluged the tps and still get the very same results, is it possible the sensor is dead?
              I wrote up an entry for the Wiki on this a while back:

Short answer: it provides a modification to spark timing under certain circumstances.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

throttle position sensor

I read your resistance values on the throttle position sensor
                mine reads 4700 at idle and I can get it to 1800 at wide open but your post says 3800 at wide open mine is a 04 katana 750
                ive searched high and low for these specs and wanted to make sure you meant 1800 or 3800 at wot
                my bike has a bbad stumble and the carbs have been cleaned and checked more times than i want to admit new plugs and float levels at factory settings and the up and down up seems to help maybe the air filter, looks new but oh well ill change it anyway runs bad with air filter removed any help appreciated

bump to send pm

bump to send pm
                Last edited by slowhand; 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by slowhand View Post

bump to send pm

bump to send pm
                  Please tell me you are not waiting for a pm from TheCyberPoet...

R.I.P. Marc
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                  X