X

Valve Adjustment Question - SHIM

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Adjustment Question - SHIM

Hello all, looking for some advise on what shim sizes to buy for my 94 Kat 600. Here is what I got while measuring this AM. Only one value means I got the same measurement for both sides of the same cylinder. Values in red are out of tolerance per the sticker on the frame. Values in BOLD are non matching within the same cylinder.

Cyl 1
    Intake- 0.18 mm
    Exhaust- 0.20 mm

Cyl 2
    Intake- 0.18 mm
    Exhaust Left - 0.20 mm
    Exhaust Right- 0.23 mm Shim measures 275

Cyl 3
    Intake Left - 0.23 mm Shim measures 278
    Intake Right - 0.15 mm (looser than id like but next size up was too tight)
    Exhaust Left - 0.23 mm Shim measures 270
    Exhaust Right - 0.20 mm

Cyl 4
    Intake Left - 0.18 mm Shim measures 270
    Intake Right - 0.15 mm
    Exhaust - 0.20

I saw somewhere on here that it is important to make sure the values match on each cylinder but not necessarily between all cylinders. Is this true? Also, since the non matching cylinders are still within spec they arent on the chart in the Haynes.

Looking for recommendations on what I should do...

Thanks in advance
    Josh
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Does anyone know what sizes they sell the shims in? I need some sizes that are not multiples of .05 mm. One of the shims in my engine is a 278 so they must make them in odd sizes right?

Dealer is closed today so i cant call.

Josh
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

The only shims you can get new are multiple of 0.05. All non-0.05 shims came from the factory, you shouldn't count on finding them. Just get as close as you can with 0.05 shims. Just put a 285 on #3 intake left and you're fine.
      sigpic
      »Ross Wendell
      »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Thanks for the reply. How about putting some shim stock or something similar under the current shims to bring the ones that are not equal (but in spec) closer?

Has anyone done that or is it not advised.... Or doesnt it matter that much if the valves match?

Actually.... I do have a parts bike that I guess I could dig into and check all those shims. Maybe there are some of the factory only odd ball sizes that I could use in there. Question is, do i really feeling like tearing open two engines to do this job and will it even make a difference for me after all that work.

Thanks
        Last edited by jdumont; 03-29-2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead...

I'm in the middle of doing a valve adjustment on my 93' katana 600 which is shim type and was wondering what the O.D. of the shims are. I found kits on Bikebandit but they list 7.48mm OD, 8.90mm OD, and 9.48mm OD. Which size are our kats?

Comment

Working...
          X