X

Pit Posse "Wheel Bearing Remover Set" Review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit Posse "Wheel Bearing Remover Set" Review

I wrote this up in regards to my Buell, but most of the info should transfer over, short of the rear bearing consideration. I just figured I would share with you guys, what I have found to be a good reasonably priced tool if wheel bearings are in your future. FTR, the Ulysses eats rear wheel bearings, first set was done at the first tire change, at 7616mi. Anyway on to the review.

Well, I finally have a little time to type up my opinions on the Pit Posse wheel bearing remover. In summary, I'm impressed and it works as advertised (pretty much.)

Lets start with the front, as it works exactly as advertised. Put the remover deal on the floor and set the wheel down on it. (The alternative is trying to hold it in while you are setting the wheel on the floor.) Take the long rod, run it through the wheel, with the remover piece still resting on the ground, hit it with a BFH a few time to get it set, then pick the wheel off the ground and begin hitting it with said hammer. Then go chase the remover/rod/bearing assembly halfway across the garage when that bearing comes out the last little bit. Pulling all the parts apart is as easy as tapping the rod to the side a couple times, the rod falls out and the bearing comes right off the remover.

Now on to the rear wheel, well to put it simply, the 30mm remover is really outside the designed operating range of the tool. Yes it works, but no where near as well as the 25mm tool. The procedure is similar to the one above except for a few steps. The remover really has a hard time taking a set on the bearing, which requires several attempts at chasing just the rod/remover assembly around the garage, then finally getting irritated and beating the rod into the tool with all ones might, so that the rod/remover/bearing join together into one homogeneous piece that will only be separated by large amounts of force (and maybe a little heat,) but the bearing will come out of the wheel. Now the rod will come out of the assembly with no problem, but then you get to trying to remove the bearing from the remover. My method was to hold the bearing and try to tap it out with my favorite BFH, but instead of actually tapping the remover I found it much more effective to hit my hand. Following a couple attempts at this I figured out the magic words to use. (I think I tried all the ones I knew on each successive hammer strike to my hand.) So I walked over to the vice and was actually able to remover the bearing from the tool. So now the remover is pretty well deformed and not returning to it's original shape so it really has to be tapped into the other bearing.

I exaggerate a little, but really the 30mm remover is not the best design. It does not spread as well as the smaller ones, and it does not return to its original shape.

My concern with the tool is if I decide to take it on tours, I will also be stuck carrying a decent sized hammer, I can't imagine it will work particularly well with a roadside rock.

Overall, I give the tool 3.5/5 stars. It would be a 4+/5 if I weren't using the 30mm remover. Would I buy it again? Without a doubt. I really can think of a tool as capable of being stored in a relatively small space for as small a price, that will actually remove wheel bearings.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Thanx Joe...good to know as i'm looking into getting one soon...

I found it much more effective to hit my hand. Following a couple attempts at this I figured out the magic words to use. (I think I tried all the ones I knew on each successive hammer strike to my hand.)
    Gawd...I hate it when this happens.. Usually takes a few beers to get the hand back to it's normal shape and functioning again huh ??

Comment

Originally posted by Breeze View Post
      Gawd...I hate it when this happens.. Usually takes a few beers to get the hand back to it's normal shape and functioning again huh ??
      At least. As a matter of fact, there is still a bearing on the 30mm remover, because of those beers.

And the tool beats the heck out of a hammer and punch.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

This is the one I use actually - it's my 1st set, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I've replaced 3 or 4 sets of bearings with it so far, and I'd agree pretty much 100% w/ this review. The smaller "collets" are easier to spread than the larger ones, but I guess that's to be expected since they're more substantial.

Anyway, I think it's the cheapest bearing set out there, so definitely a good buy for a home/casual user. Btw, I don't think there's a collet large enough to remove the bearing inside the rear sprocket hub of our Kats.
        "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I did the rear bearings on a buddy 20 year old Honda last summer
          Yes 20 years old and the original bearings
          I used a loaner tool from auto parts dealer, it was a pilot bearing puller for transmission bearings
          I had a mother f* er of a time with one of them
          I probably would never treat my own tools like this one
          I was worried I would not get my security deposit back LOL
          He had a defective bearing so they came out better the second time!

I like the looks of this tool listed above
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K View Post
            Btw, I don't think there's a collet large enough to remove the bearing inside the rear sprocket hub of our Kats.
            Looking at the spec's on the bearing for the sprocket carrier, it looks to be 25mm ID, which should be the largest one included in the set. (At least that is the bearing size for my 01, not sure about the Pre's.)
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet

Comment

Working...
            X