X

New Ebay Bar ends. Bolt broke too lonnnnng

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ebay Bar ends. Bolt broke too lonnnnng

I I bought these bar ends on ebay. Nothing special just black bar ends and the screw that came with the bar ends was too long. Well I did not have bar ends so I had no screw to compare against. So I start screwing the hex srew and it breaks on the left side. So my dilemma is broking end screw. I thought well maybe I will just glue the bar end on the left side, however If I want to ever replace the left grip, which I probably won't since I just bought brand new OE's, I could not get it off. Just for the record, what is the proper length for the bar end screw so I don't break the throttle side end?
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
    I I bought these bar ends on ebay. Nothing special just black bar ends and the screw that came with the bar ends was too long. Well I did not have bar ends so I had no screw to compare against. So I start screwing the hex srew and it breaks on the left side. So my dilemma is broking end screw. I thought well maybe I will just glue the bar end on the left side, however If I want to ever replace the left grip, which I probably won't since I just bought brand new OE's, I could not get it off. Just for the record, what is the proper length for the bar end screw so I don't break the throttle side end?

I'm confused... my bars are hollow, so the length of the bar end screw does not make any difference for me...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah same with me Krey... Do you have aftermarket bars red?
      Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

yeah... it really doesnt matter, just so long as it's long enough to at least get a good hold in the threading.
        2004 Katana
        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Probably had a defective bolt, remove the bad piece and replace with new bolt. Any decent hardware store should be able to match it up. Remove the bolt from the left side to compare. QED.
          Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Hmmmm, Im starting to think I do. My bar ends are not hollow and I have a small screw opening. I will post pics when I get home. From what the second owner told me, the first owner put aftermarket grips on so maybe the bars were replaced as well. My bike is a Pre 94 600, does that make a difference. The bars really do look OE though.
            FROM WORK:
            "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Stock pre bars are hollow, with a nut inserted and welded into the end for the bar ends. So a bolt being screwed into the nut should never run into an obstruction. The other end of the bar is covered with a plastic cap that just pops on.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Stock pre bars are hollow, with a nut inserted and welded into the end for the bar ends. So a bolt being screwed into the nut should never run into an obstruction. The other end of the bar is covered with a plastic cap that just pops on.

Krey

+1

The thread size should be M6 x 1.0

Wouldn't have happened if you went with my bar ends
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Trying to makue sure I am understanding correctly, so the factory Bar Ends, do the just pop on to the end or are the screw into the bar?

Sorry Cheriff I did not think to see if anyone on KR was selling bar ends. I like the LED idea though. Let me know when it is complete.
                  Last edited by redciv1; 03-27-2009, 08:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  FROM WORK:

Comment

No, you attatch the bar end with a screw through the center.

Imagine a hollow tube and a nut. Place the nut on a table on a flat side. Place the hollow tube over the top of the nut, so that the tube is on the table with the nut inside. If you welded the nut in the tube end like that... that is how the stock bars are made.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

I should mention that at some point I tried using the bolts from my 2.4" long bar end set on the 2.0" bar end set and before it would draw up the end, the screw was getting pretty tight. Tight enough that I felt uncomfortable going further and to buy shorter bolts. I understand it should be hollow with a welded nut on the end, but something was making it get tight. Once I do some riding this spring (once the bike is back together) and my solid bars check out to be ok, I will cut open the factory bad to see what is really going on in there.

(Oh, and the threads on my long bolt were just fine. It wasn't getting too tight because of that)
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

I had the same prob with a set of bar ends off ebay. The problem was that the bolt had a shoulder on it that would hit the nut before the bar end was tight. Is this what happened to yours?

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
                          I had the same prob with a set of bar ends off ebay. The problem was that the bolt had a shoulder on it that would hit the nut before the bar end was tight. Is this what happened to yours?
                          Good question...

You guys gotta stop with these ebay bar ends.. see all the problems

j/k... ok I am done sale pitching now
                          -2000 "750"

Comment

LOL. No, it did not feel like that is what happened. It just felt like the screw(head head) bottomed out. And even though I did not measure, I believe the screw was at least 2 in. probably the 2 1/4 Cheriff mentioned.

Cheriff I wanna see those LED bar ends.
                            FROM WORK:

Comment

I gotta chime in here for Cheriff, I bought a set of his 2" polished stainless ends and they fit like factory made and the finish and workmanship is better than any factory made.
                              '06 Katana 750

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me!

Comment

Working...
                              X