X

Valve adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve adjustment

I am wanting to do a valve adjustment on my 1994 600. What do I need for tools and shims or what not. Were can I get what I need.

Thanks
    SB

Not sure what cha ride, but you cn start here: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...rm_select.html
    This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
    BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Originally posted by FASHER View Post
      Not sure what cha ride, but you cn start here: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...rm_select.html
      Cyber also has the tappet tool you need.
      sigpic

Comment

I believe the 94 kat 600 has shims. I just did a valve adjustment on my bike a couple days ago and it's really not that hard.

Basically get the valve cover off and measure the clearances like you would for one with screw adjusters. To adjust the valves gently slide the rocker arm to the side (I used a screw driver with a piece of silicone hose on it) and use a magnet to pull out the shim. If you're luck the size will still be printed on the bottom of the shim (285 = 2.85mm) otherwise you'll need to bust out the micrometer. I measured all of my clearances and shims and made a nice little spreadsheet which should save some time when I do my next adjustment. You may be able to swap around some shims to get things into spec, but otherwise you'll need to find a place to buy the shims you need. Give some local shops a call, most are more than willing to sell shims (I paid $4.50 / shim from the local Suzuki dealer).

Remember, it's more important that the valves on a cylinder be consistent than that all the valves across the engine be consistent. If one exhaust valve is at 0.17 and the other is at 0.22 you should adjust one to get them closer. But if one cylinder has both at 0.17 and another has both at 0.22 it's not as big of a deal because it'll be fixed with synchronization of the carbs.
        sigpic
        »Ross Wendell
        »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

how often should you do this? mine is a 04 with 6034. on odd.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joseph2027 View Post
            how often should you do this? mine is a 04 with 6034. on odd.
            Owner's manual has the schedule...

For the 98+, it's at 600 miles, 7500 miles and every 7500 after that (i.e. - 15k, 22.5k, 30k, 37.5k, 45k, etc.).

I'm not sure what the interval is for the shim-based Kat 600 engines (92-96 or '97 depending on market), but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Another thing for shims, make sure you use the clearance specs off the frame (top front left I believe) or at least make sure you're using the spec range for shims because they are different than for screws.
              sigpic
              »Ross Wendell

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
                If you're luck the size will still be printed on the bottom of the shim (285 = 2.85mm) otherwise you'll need to bust out the micrometer.
                Hold on.. I thought the shim wore? no? I can't find a cam shaft fiche that is correct, all the ron ayers ones show threaded adjusters..

Comment

There is no sliding contact on the shim, the only real wear point is between the cam shaft and the rocker arm. The rocker just presses on the shim like your finger on a keyboard. I should have taken pictures while I had the valve cover off but I didn't think of it. I actually checked some of my shims with a micrometer and they all agreed with the number printed on them.
                  sigpic
                  »Ross Wendell

Comment

thanks so i should be good for atleast 1500 more
                    sigpic

Comment

Shim fiche
                      sigpic
                      »Ross Wendell

Comment

Is a micrometer the same thing as a caliper, like you use for checking float bowl heights? I was going to use that, but maybe I should look into a digital one?
                        2 bikes

'82 GS650G
                        '94 Katana 600

Comment

A micrometer gives you better accuracy. As long as your calipers are good to 0.01mm though you should be fine since the shims you can get are generally every 0.05mm

At the very least buy some digital calipers. I bought the cheapest POS digital calipers on harbor freight almost 6 years ago and should have kicked myself for not buying sooner. A micrometer is nice to have but rarely necessary.
                          sigpic
                          »Ross Wendell

Comment

So the tool you use is a screw driver with a piece of tube? I assume the tube is what pushes the shim out without scratching anything correct?

Also, if I were to do this it would be a good idea to get a new signal cover gasket and valve cover gasket correct?
                            Last edited by paintmann111; 03-28-2009, 12:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            2 bikes

'82 GS650G
                            '94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
                              Also, if I were to do this it would be a good idea to get a new signal cover gasket and valve cover gasket correct?
                              Normally both are reusable, and only need to be replaced about once every five years if treated right (no sealants on the gaskets), but given the age of your Kat, I'd recommend replacing them or at least having the replacements on hand in case you will need them.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X